Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone, and I hope you are all staying good and healthy.
Guys and girls,,I have a new project to work on, with marble tiles. The specifications call for ASTM standards, which is screed substrate, then flexible adhesive using a notched trowel.
A contractor asked if it was ok to do the "old method" he states, of red sand, and then a white cement slurry of 1 part sand to 3 parts water to make a slurry. He spreads it all over the sand, than lays down the tile, taps it lightly, puts in his spacers and then off to the next tile. So my question is: is this type of installation in any specifications in the world? Whether it be American, British or Australian Standards?

·
Super Moderator
24,405 Posts
IMO, i'd go with what the manufacturer reccomends.

If you have a call back or failure the first thing the manufacturer will do is determine if it was installed properly to their specs.

If not done to their specs could be a giant headache...

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
The tile installation method specs are important but the status of the subfloor is just as important. You can ASTM standard the tile install but it means very little if the subfloor isn't up to par for a stone installation.
Start with what material is the existing subfloor.

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
It's an interesting question, though. I had a seasoned marble guy with some other "old methods" and it drove me nuts.

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
I will say I believe there are multiple ways to successfully install stone. Some of the methods are older than the manuals printed today on how to. There are successful installs thousands of years old. The key, what's the substrate like?

Have the OP drop that info and we can talk about successful ways to install the marble; but not until....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO, i'd go with what the manufacturer reccomends.

If you have a call back or failure the first thing the manufacturer will do is determine if it was installed properly to their specs.

If not done to their specs could be a giant headache...
You can only use the specifications provided by client to contractor. This is a large scale project, you can't let contractors do whatever they want. And they have to do mockups to ensure, that they do follow manufacturer's recommendations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tile installation method specs are important but the status of the subfloor is just as important. You can ASTM standard the tile install but it means very little if the subfloor isn't up to par for a stone installation.
Existing floor, has not yet been poured/placed. just a typical screed that follows ASTM standards, as layed out in ASTM Standard 035300 Concrete Screeds and Toppings

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Subfloor/Substrate is created and specified in ASTM 035300

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will say I believe there are multiple ways to successfully install stone. Some of the methods are older than the manuals printed today on how to. There are successful installs thousands of years old. The key, what's the substrate like?

Have the OP drop that info and we can talk about successful ways to install the marble; but not until....
Substrate has not been created yet. It is a concrete substrate sitting on a concrete structural slab. So first, we pour/place the concrete screed/substrate as per ASTM Standards 035300

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
Well, if the contract insists on ASTM standards, all one needs is the ASTM guide on installing stone (marble) flooring. I assume the architect has already sources stone that follows ASTM guides for absorption of stone flooring, acceptable slip resistance and, of course, for light duty or commercial floor as needed.

I, personally, do not have access to ASTM standard guidelines as most of the industry uses either ANSI or TCNA for residential or light duty commercial. Your best bet to to get ahold of ASTM documentation yourself to verify the installation method. In over 13 years here on CT, I have seen very little discussion about ASTM standards.

From my limited knowledge in commercial installations, I can't even guess if the method described by the installer would fall under ASTM standards. However, that method over a concrete substrate in a residential setting would be 100% fine for installation. Don't forget, you'll need to follow ASTM guide on expansion joints as well. They are pretty strict about how, where and what you use for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you know, what the name would be, of that manner of installation is? I'd like to know if it exists in any standards worldwide. ASTM, ANSI,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts