Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sodablaster dude
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
new problem to solve. Hope to get some help :thumbup:

Looking for an internal pipe blasting tool.

I know some CLEMCO accessories like:
http://www.clemcoindustries.com/products_showitem_clemco.php?item_id=25070
http://www.clemcoindustries.com/products_showitem_clemco.php?item_id=02601
http://www.clemcoindustries.com/products_showitem_clemco.php?item_id=01098
http://www.clemcoindustries.com/products_showitem_clemco.php?item_id=01076

Pipes spec:
diameter = 1/2" to 1" or even up to 16"
lenght = 0-100 foot

Contamination:
- rust
- petrochemical residue

Anyone got an experience with that?
Any thoughts?
Which one to choose?
Suggestions?

Huge thanks!!! :thumbsup:

·
sodablaster dude
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They got same CLEMCO stuff and some two additional Clemtex named, but still similar to Clemco. Nothing special.

More than where to buy I would like to hear someone with an experience of using that :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Chuck, I think your missing the point I tried to make to you. They, Clemtex builds custom pipe blasting tools. Your not really going to get nothing off the shelf. My old contracting company used to blast and coat ID and OD pipe for US Pipe, ACIPICO, McWayne Ductile and few others. You asked for help and I sent you somebody that builds these day in day out. Did you try giving them a call? Yes, they are a Clemco distributor as they actually build some of the Clemco equipment for them. Are you looking at doing pipe ID in a shop or already in service? What is the maximum length pipe that your looking at doing? You may need robotics if your wanting to go long distance and you had better get your wallet out for robotics. Give them a call and see what they can offer.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You may also want to look at using SSPC-SP12 methods also instead of abrasive blasting. Since your looking at up to 100' "30m" of pipe. That's going to be hard to remove all of the spent abrasive.

Next month is one trade show that there will be several people present that can answer more of your questions and they will have pipe cleaning tools there on display since your wanting to get with the big boys. The one next month is the NACE conference and it will be in San Antonio, Texas. Go to www.nace.org for more info.

There will be another show in May and this one is all about the petroleum industry. It is the NISTM show. It is always in Orlando, Flrorida. You can go to www.nistm.org to find out more show info for it.

Like I said though, you may want to look at SSPC-SP12 methods for ID pipe cleaning rather than abrasive blasting due to the long lengths that you asked about.

Are you planning on coating the interior of these pipe as well?

·
Registered
23 Posts
so what is it that you want to know ?
you just get the proper equipment (depending on ID of the pipe and your rig), feed it through the pipe and your good to go !

depending on how tough that "petrochemical residue" is, like Painter said, you may or may not go SSPC-SP12

i've done ID of petroleum deep well pump housings and MAN that stuff was hard to take off... the company used to scrap them when they were that bad. noone does water jetting over here. (not yet ;) )

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
@Painter 213...

Do you have an opinion on the potential for sand blasting trapping corrosion?

I have seen the surface profile of steel after water blasting with no change to the profile, but have seen the surface after sandblasting where the peaks of the profile roll over and trap corrosion, leading to further problems. Is this a justifiable concern?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am not answering for painter but water blasting just cleans to the profile that is already there while blasting can actually change the profile and if that is what is needed that makes the choice simple. I am looking for a 15k water blaster right now.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Cuda is absolutely correct in that high pressure water jetting "HPWJ" and ultra high pressure water jetting "UHPWJ" does not create a surface profile, but only exposes the surface profile, if any is even present. This is used along with SSPC WJ1, WJ2, WJ3 & WJ4 water jetting standards. As far as abrasive blasting embedding or trapping corrosion underneath the profile. If SSPC-SP6, SP10 or SP5 is followed, then no corrosion products shall remain. Not sure what blast standard that you work to, but if abrasive blasting traps corrosion then there is a whole industry out there that has major problems. Do you work off from SSPC/NACE joint Standards?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Years ago I worked for a water blasting company and that was one of the justifications used to encourage water blasting. We would send out sandblasting if we needed, we never sand blasted in house.

I was shown pics that showed the trapped corrosion. It seemed strange at the time that abrasive could be so prevalent if this was a common drawback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts