Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gives with manufacturers not making interlock shigles anymore. All the supply houses are telling me the 3 tab or laminates have better warranty and will withstand wind better. I have yet to see an interlock come off due to wind, and I have seen many 3 tabs blown off of houses. :mad:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
who wants to put down either? Go, laminate, go!!!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Apples to oranges there is no comparison. BTW quite a few manufacturers offer life time warranties, not just interlock.

HOWEVER, I feel you are calling an interlock shingle something it is not. Interlock is a type and company of metal roof. Certainteed still does make their customlok shingle which is what you were referring to http://www.certainteed.com/CertainT...haltShingles/RoofingCustom+Lok25ProdIndex.htm

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Out in the country you still see a lot of the 'interlock' type of shingles. Globe I think used to make them as well. The asphalt shingle guys that have been doing it more than 30 yrs could better answer the question of what else use to be available but gone by the way side.
My guess is the better the adhesives got, the less the industry felt it needed a more time consuming shingle to install. IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
gmc6000 said:
What gives with manufacturers not making interlock shigles anymore. All the supply houses are telling me the 3 tab or laminates have better warranty and will withstand wind better. I have yet to see an interlock come off due to wind, and I have seen many 3 tabs blown off of houses. :mad:
I've seen plenty of interlocking shingles come off because of wind. I've seen more 3 tabs come off, but the interlocking shingle isn't gods gift to roofs (in my opinion).

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Kevin said:
I've seen plenty of interlocking shingles come off because of wind. I've seen more 3 tabs come off, but the interlocking shingle isn't gods gift to roofs (in my opinion).
You are, of course, correct, Kevin.........I am God's gift to roofing. :eek: :D :Thumbs:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Are you guys talking about T-locks. They are still real popular here in Colorado and they blow off here too. 10 to 15 years ago they allowed wide crowned staples for all roofs but after one big wind storm they switched everything to nails. They still blow off. > I'm trying to troubleshoot a newer t-lock roof on a 3/12 pitch but i'll put that on a new thread. RT.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The funny thing is these types of shingles usually have a higher wind rating than normal 3tabs... and when these things blow off they blow off in chunks. I mean you can lose a square at a time because sometimes the lock ont he shingles is better than the fasteners and once one gets lifted a large section goes with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts