Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually pour outside. For interior how large of an area needs to be poured before expansion is needed

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Are you asking about an expansion joint or the common control joint - a big difference.

Concrete does shrink as it cures and that is the reason for sawed control joints because the shrinkage causes cracks that are hard to eliminate, event with reinforcement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Griz thanks but I don't use expansion for every pour. I mostly pour exterior commercial and residential. I joined forum today looking for an answer on an Interior pour. I need to know How many feet you have to pour before you put the expansion and do you use expansion joint instead of stress cuts. If anyone knows I appreciate the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pouring pole barn... so do you think its better to do a saw cut and leave the expansion joint out?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
aflowers said:
Pouring pole barn... so do you think its better to do a saw cut and leave the expansion joint out?
If its a barn, I'd treat it the same way as a garage slab. We put control joints in 10'x10' sections here. You can do isolation joints if you want but if the dirt is compacted good then control joints should work fine. I'm assuming you know the difference? Isolation joints allow for better vertical movement.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Are you pouring footings for the pole barn? And I mean under the poles?

If you are, you had better put a expansion joint between the slab and a footing. Nothing better than tying a moving pad to a non-moving post.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts