Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My customer wants to add half walls (podiums) with columns on top in a wide passageway in their home. This is a purely decorative column.

I have a brochure for HB&G. I'd like more vendor's to select from. Is there anybody that's particurlarly good to work with?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Painted, stained, square, rounded, what type of columns?

If they are square decorative, make them on site, it's not to tuff to do. I end up making a lot of columns myself.

Bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did this with custom cabinets below and a dropped ceiling from above that left a 4' opening. Recessed can for light and then custom built two platforms that would act like bases to column and then installed two concrete 42" columns from landscaping art company. These were very detailed greek style columns. Made for a very custom feature with an arch pass thru. Another way but semi informal and more open is to build the half wall and just cut down your typical HB&G 8" Fiberglass column to length.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not the greatest picture but our carpenter fabricated these columns on site.

We like on-site fabrication as it allows us to fit the colums to the addition and yeah...it impresses the owner to and they tell their friends about their custom columns.

Tim

·
Registered
318 Posts
WHOA!!!!

Nathan - how do I re-size this photo to something reasonable?

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tim, Thanks for the post, that's a great picture of a beautiful design. It's not what I need this time, but I'm sure I'll use it in the future.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
What is the guy looking for? Doric? Grecian?
Tuscan caps? Greco-Roman or pure Italian (Tuscan)?

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
"Get fiberglass"?

Pond, you can't honestly tell me that you think fiberglass columns are better the custom wood designed ones, can you?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Learn to read "TG"................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Customer wants round smooth columns with tuscan caps and base"

The customer wants a nice line in their family/living/dining room area.

I'm sorry but you cannot go in there and build your custom columns out of 5/4 pressure treated wood and use your router for design. Not sure what their decor is, but I know it ain't Beverly Hillbillies Style.

Go back to sleep, spring will be here soon so you can do some decking work. I have to build a little 10 x 12 deck for my dog, so come on down to Carolina and I'll pay you $75 so you will have asomething to do at least. Anything I can do to help out. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best column to use is the HB&G Permacast. If the column is being painted then yes, It is a much better column than one you make from wood. HB&G has a line out now called the Craftsman series which is made just for your application. They are made to be used on top of a step wall and are sized accordingly. You might want to check their website (www.hbgcolumns.com) and take a look at these. Some of your local suppliers may not even know this series exist since they are relatively new. It saves all the work and hassle of cutting full columns down and fitting the base to a smaller diameter than it was designed for.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
pondman said:
Learn to read "TG"................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Customer wants round smooth columns with tuscan caps and base"

The customer wants a nice line in their family/living/dining room area.

I'm sorry but you cannot go in there and build your custom columns out of 5/4 pressure treated wood and use your router for design. Not sure what their decor is, but I know it ain't Beverly Hillbillies Style.

Go back to sleep, spring will be here soon so you can do some decking work. I have to build a little 10 x 12 deck for my dog, so come on down to Carolina and I'll pay you $75 so you will have asomething to do at least. Anything I can do to help out. :Thumbs:
pondman, I can read very well thank you. Where, by the way, did I suggest using pressure treated wood and a router? Perhaps you are the one with the reading problem??? I never suggested that "I" would build the columns at all. I merely asked you why you would prefer fiberglass over wood.

Since one of your unprovoked insults has now made it's way to me, I would like you to tell me why you feel it is necessary to berate and insult me and other contractors in this forum on a continual basis? My posting in no way insulted you, yet for some reason unknown to anyone of reasonable intelligence, you felt it necessary to to insult me and the way I earn my living by "offering" to pay me $75 to build a deck for your dog. pondman, I wouldn't degrade myself by building anything for such a self-righteous, pompous and ignorant a$$ as yourself.

Are you that insecure about yourself that you feel it necessary to insult me so you can feel better about yourself? If so, I pity you.

BTW, I'll be in South Carolina from March 13-19. If you'd like to meet up and settle this like men, just let me know...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Decks, there is at least one pond on every bb that I'm on, just take what is useful and ignore the rest. Egging them on just gives them more reason to hang around.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
My apologies Teetor. I have refrained from replying to his many posts that insult others - they weren't directed at me so it wasn't my business. He crossed the line with me personally by insulting my livelihood. I felt it necessary to respond. Unlike pondman who hides behind a name unrelated to him or his business, I have my forum name the same as my business name.

Also, I've yet to see anything really useful or informative come from any of pondman's posts. So, I guess I'll have to take your advice and ignore everything he posts - LOL

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
No apologies required. I believe that I just made a simple statement based on my experience.
If you add fuel to the fire it gets bigger, ignore it and it goes out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
TG,

You are not worth my time even if it was an old fashioned dual. :cheesygri

Your knowledge shows in this post. Why fiberglass over wood?

Teetor.........You even know the answer to this. Would you like to explain it to someone who works with wood more than others? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ok I will then. TG.... Wood will breathe as the house will during the seasons. It has the capability of spliting with expansion and contraction. Fiberglass is uniform and much smoother and stronger in a column structure. As far as paint grade goes, fiberglass is better. Why do you think they are coming out with different decking materials than wood? THINK !!!

I love to make fun of this crap. This is a comedy channel to me with some of you guys. You can dish it out but you can't take it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Decks.......PONDMAN is my handle as for what my passion is. I am not here to promote my company. Don't need too. PONDMAN comes from building and design extreme koi ponds for raising champions. These ponds cost in the range of 30-$50,000. Clientele is most maticulous.

I guess the informative and usefull posts are only absorbed by the intellegent readers that know what the subject is truly about.

Have fun on your trip to SC and tell Elly and Jed I said hello, ya hear! :D

Your friend,

Pond

P.S. Teetor.......I wil never go away this is soooooooooo much fun and its free. :Thumbs:

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
pondman, I can take it and dish it out thank you very much. However, I prefer intelligent verbal sparing as opposed to lowering myself to insulting others without provocation. Attempting to have an intelligent exchange of ideas with you is like showing up to a gun fight and having an opponent who shows up with a water-pistol. Your further attempts at personal insults just proves it.

Teetor, picture this...

Me p**ing on the fire to help it go out faster ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts