Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,429 Posts
I'll pass. Has a lot of shiny market-speak, still relies on a main water heater, and has electronic control circuitry that is a heckuva lot more fragile than the old tried & true.

And I'm still crosseyed from that contribution/reward matrix. :blink:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most rewards are set up like that on kickstarter, it's how crowdfunding works. Admittedly I know almost nothing about water heaters, just thought it was interesting. I didn't notice the part about an average house needing so much units.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,213 Posts
It has the same issue as point of use units. 2 GPM at 48 Amps. That's a honking draw for not much flow.

As for the claims that they avoid plating by using a graphite electrode, whether plating happens depends on the water coming in, not just the electrode - I call BS on that claim. Also, graphite electrodes exposed to water flow can erode. Laminar flow gives slow erosion, turbulent flow gives fast erosion - I don't see a way around this.

·
Registered
11,832 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MarkJames said:
What you mean by "backing everything..."? Are you seeing or expecting any real returns yet?
Mostly I mean on friday night I tend to drink a few to many margaritas and start spending money on things I don't need. A backer is just someone who promises to spend money if the company reaches it's goal. In return you get a reward which is usually one of the first products.

Such as:

Laser measure with lidar point cloud feature.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ikegps/spike-laser-accurate-measurement-and-modelling-on

A 3D scanner that quickly scans entire objects and can model it in real time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/occipital/structure-sensor-capture-the-world-in-3d

Or these awesome bioluminescence plants.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antonyevans/glowing-plants-natural-lighting-with-no-electricit

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sabagley said:
Did you back the biolumessent plant? Did you get seeds from it? That looks pretty cool.
I did back it but it's a long process. I won't expect the seeds till this summer. I also backed the other two projects which I hope come out okay. Especially the spike as I think it would be useful for exterior measurements.

·
PlumbingZone Reject
62 Posts
You dont get returns as in stock returns but you get one of the first run items at a vastly discounted rate.
I did this with an Android 'dongle' the size of an oversized thumb drive that you plugged into the USB port on your 'Smart TV'.

It worked great for about 6 weeks before it went tits up. I only shelled out $150.00 and despite the shoddy construction of the beta, I still think it was worth it.

I also kicked in some money for the Veronica Mars movie.

·
PlumbingZone Reject
62 Posts
I think the fact that an average house will need so many is going to be the downfall of this concept.
It sounds like an interesting product. I can see some limited uses for it in the remodel/addition market.

I'm doing a master bedroom/master bath addition right now where protecting the landscaping, the stucco exterior, the terrazzo floors and the Venetian plaster walls in the existing structure takes precedence over everything else.

The current plan is to trench alongside the house and deliver a gas supply, a cold water supply, a waste stub and an electrical service for a new service panel. This is the route we chose because it's the least intrusive. An issue with the trenching is that home hosts some of the oldest Rhododendron and Azalea cultivars on the West Coast, so the trenching has been painstaking. Rhodie's and azalea's are also notorious for having massive root balls/ root mats.

Using this heater (current plans call for a Rinnai tankless) would eliminate the need for the gas service and make the trenching less invasive and less destructive on the landscaping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.