Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
none of them meet current code :whistling. I think a shorter railing has better visual porportions and that is why the older one's look so good.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ive done an interior rail kind of like the second pict. At least the top part.I used 2 goosenecks and 2 90° upeasings.
Looked cool with iron pickets.
No picts though.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,309 Posts
All of them look like they are on older homes. You know when craftmanship was supported instead of the bottom line.

I have done some that lloked similar to those. Picture #2 was popular around here with a lot of variances, the top swooping rail was the constant. I've even doen one or two of the swooping rails inside houses on stairwells.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
none of them meet current code :whistling. I think a shorter railing has better visual porportions and that is why the older one's look so good.
Porches floors less than 30" above grade don't require railings, so two of the three don't violate that code. Two also look like they would pass the 4" sphere test.

I also like the proportions of the old rails.

·
Administrator
60,309 Posts
Around here if the deck is 24" or lower you don't need railings. If you choose to put them on they need to abide by current code.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,651 Posts
Around here if the deck is 24" or lower you don't need railings. If you choose to put them on they need to abide by current code.
Yep, that bytes. I guess they think you're going to jack the thing up after the inspector leaves? :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
60,309 Posts
Railings must be made to spec per code blah blah blah..:rolleyes:.. Just like if you have extra lights on your truck, if you got'em - they gotta work.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Speaking of old rails and modern codes... I had a tip published on reusing old balusters that are too short (for interior rails). I built a curb that matches the 8" baseboards in the home then I was able to recycle the short, historic, stuff.

Another tie-in the this thread... the house where I did the rail, published in the tip, is next door to the house with the blue heron on the porch.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts