Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
I came across framing like this in the past on older porches.
I guess it was a way of doing things for some in those days...

The funny thing is, that this been up probably for 100 years, without collapsing... and today with everything that is out there i.e teco hangers, or other connectors, etc and some hacks still cant get it right and structures fail... how sad is that :censored:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The original frame is still there, and is about 100 years old. It was in typical shape. It's the repair that was done 20 years ago that made laugh. The old growth timber is the darker stuff. All that weird sistering and blocking, and notched blocking, and........

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
My son's original cottage build (1949) in SoCal (several blocks from the water) has a lot of that crap piece-meal junk going on....

The local historians have explained that many of these cottages were built as summer cottages by the HO's who would take their several summers up there building. There of course was no code, or no code enforcement then, they just built..... either did'nt really know what they were doing, or just used any scrap lumber they had left over...etc.

I do find it interesting though, after we put in enough earthquake engineering in his 18oo foot addition to sink a ship, that the original cottage, after 60 years, is still in OK shape....

Just a little ironic.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.