Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if these photos will show up because I am having trouble attaching them, but if they do, great.

I discovered this in an attic today.

If the photos post alright, I'll provide more detail.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey it worked. Angus had to give me tech support.

When I saw this I didn't know whether to be awed or apalled. An HVAC guy on site said they did it to cut down on draft ??????????????

It looks to me like the masons had to offset the chimney when it was discovered the it was headed directly for the ridge.

Any comments?

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
We see this all the time in the turn of the century homes around here. I always figured the same thing they came up in the middle of the house and gave it an oh :censored: when they got into the attic. But then again i see alot of chimneys come up dead nuts in the middle of the ridge.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We see this all the time in the turn of the century homes around here. I always figured the same thing they came up in the middle of the house and gave it an oh :censored: when they got into the attic. But then again i see alot of chimneys come up dead nuts in the middle of the ridge.
It's a pretty old house-probably newer than turn of the century by a little bit.
The chimney comes out through the roof exactly adjacent to the ridge. No ridge board, obviously no cricket, but it seems to have held up well for now.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Thats where the Jack Daniels consumption exceeded the brick layed amount because the tender couldn't keep up.

Once they went above the second floor the poor guy just couldn't keep material on the boards.:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats where the Jack Daniels consumption exceeded the brick layed amount because the tender couldn't keep up.

Once they went above the second floor the poor guy just couldn't keep material on the boards.:thumbup:
I'll look for ancient JD bottles in the insulation tomorrow:laughing:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes turn of the century THIS ONE. BAHAHAAA

Looks like modern day mesican "brother in law" work to me. A good mesican woulda thew up chicken wire and a scratch coat of stucco to hold it together, but never came back to 2nd coat or finish it

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
A little off topic but dont you love goin in those old attics seeing 2 x 4's on 2' centers and like a 20' rafter length. Then you drill through the roof to cut a boot in and find 1" boards, shakes, then 4 layers of asphalt. Its like wtf keeps this thing from turning into a pile of kindling in the basement.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That one is a bit extreme but they off set it so there would be solid framing for the hip roof.
With a gable roof you can split the ridge no problem. With hips you have lateral pressure coming from all four sides.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As long it is less than 30 degrees it is all good (from a draft standpoint, structurally, good luck with that).
Our work has nothing to do with the chimney. I just happened to notice it. I think it does actually fall within 30 degrees.

I was just baffled by the draft comment by the HVAC guy. I thought he was full of s***. Was he? It was hard to tell by your post.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Ha Ha, you did the same thing I did when I saw my first loopy chimney!!

I had a bricklayer buddy come and look at it - he explained it was supposed to be like that!!

Seen quite a few since

1 - 20 of 48 Posts