Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a potential customer wanted to be able to sell a 75 year old home as all rooms completely rennovated/rehabed when your work was complete, what do you think that project would include/not include?

thanks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Big job! You can start with electrics, move on to plumbing, attack any rot, termite or other structural damage and move on to cosmetics. Most of the time the effort is not worth it unless the home has historical value.
There are also a few people who still appreciate old time craftsmanship and are willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
objectively speaking. . . .

Teetorbilt said:
Big job! You can start with electrics, move on to plumbing, attack any rot, termite or other structural damage and move on to cosmetics. Most of the time the effort is not worth it unless the home has historical value.
There are also a few people who still appreciate old time craftsmanship and are willing to pay for it.

Is there any reasonable way that they could leave large amounts of knob and tube wiring in the house, put some new outlet covers on the outlets and characterize it as a complete rehab? Do you know any contractors who would feel comfortable making that claim? Thanks Teetorbilt!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
In my mind it would include the replacement of the mechanical/elctrical/ plumbing fixtures and systems to "new or like new" and the repair or replacement of all compromised materials and finishes (cracked plaster, pealing paint, rotted or damaged wood, worn roof, etc., etc.). I think it's a stretch to sell an aging heating/cooling plant, sagging staircase or 75 year old plumbing and house wiring under the "completely rennovated/rehabed" banner.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
tdog2 said:
Is there any reasonable way that they could leave large amounts of knob and tube wiring in the house, put some new outlet covers on the outlets and characterize it as a complete rehab? Do you know any contractors who would feel comfortable making that claim? Thanks Teetorbilt!
Not in my mind.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
No way on the electrics! It is why I mentioned that first. You may be able to pass on the plumbing but not the electric.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last question

PipeGuy said:
Not in my mind.
Thanks for your thoughts. Are there any standard definitions out there or industry standards that would offer a professional association's/organization's view on that?

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
My defination of a rehab. on a 75 year old home is like you see in chicago. The guys go in and gut from top to bottom. When done everything is clean and crisp. New windows replacement and exterior looks clean and crisp also. I think there is money to be made there but those guys who do those homes in chicago specialize in rehab. I'm sure grumpy probably knows guys who do rehabs in chicago.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Opinion?.....hm....sounds like you might have bought a lemon Tdog.

Point counter point, they build old homes with real lumber.......if it's still there that is.

Bob

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I would base it soley on the neighborhood and the competing houses that his buyers will be looking at as they are looking at his.

Whatever they have done, I would consider that the benchmark. If they all are scrape offs and replaced with Mc Mansions then that is what I would do. If they are gutted and re plumbed and wired then that is what I would do. If they are just cosmetic interior updates, then that is what I would do.

You are creating a product to bring to market, bring it to market to be competitive with the competing products and no more, no less for maximum ROI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts