Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Do I need insurance

Dang is this a joke?
Property Preservation is a field of contracting. YOU need work comp, G/L, E&O with most companies so they can sue you twice, Commercial Auto, DOT licensing in most States for hauling hazardous materials... And you need to be licensed with the State as a contractor.
Man if you got to ask that question you better get a job at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
53 Posts
NOBODY needs insurance. Unless you want a license, maybe. Or to protect yourself if something bad happens. But you can work without insurance. If you are perfect, never make mistakes, everybody likes you and will never sue you, then you sure don't need insurance. You can save a lot of money without it. Dump your homeowner's while you are at it. Only sign up for auto insurance when you want to register your car. As soon as it is registered, dump it. These are helpful hints to save you money. Cuz accidents never happen and we all get along just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, I am all up for a little sarcasm, but some of you were so rude & mean! Especially the walmart comment. That was so uncalled for. Some people come to blogs to get information because they are new to the whole Mortgage Field Services industry just like you were before you heard about it. Some of the information is not available on the internet and alot of ebooks written just to make a quick dollar are so full of bad information. Some of them will tell you that you don't need insurance, or that you only need insurance for certain companies, or you only need insurance in certain states. Let's try to help others instead of making people feed so bad. If you think it's stupid and you don't have anything good to say, why not just ignore the question and don't respond to it? I think some of you owe an apology. Just because we are fortunate enough to know about the business does not mean that everybody is an expert. This is still a new industry that alot of people have never heard of until 2008 and 2009. Please don't be so mean to newbies.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Crystal,
Unfortunately men (especially in manual trades) and our "rude & mean" retorts often parallel the catty and subtly cruel interchanges among some women. It is just a sad reality of life that many of us haven't yet out grown the playground environment.

It exists, nay... abounds, on nearly every construction job, and it has evolved (regressed and degenerated?) into a mark of manhood to not only be able to readily dish it out, but to also become calloused and thick skinned to the point that it is almost second nature.

No excuse. Not really even a good reason. But just the way it seems to be.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ok, I am all up for a little sarcasm, but some of you were so rude & mean! Especially the walmart comment. That was so uncalled for. Some people come to blogs to get information because they are new to the whole Mortgage Field Services industry just like you were before you heard about it. Some of the information is not available on the internet and alot of ebooks written just to make a quick dollar are so full of bad information. Some of them will tell you that you don't need insurance, or that you only need insurance for certain companies, or you only need insurance in certain states. Let's try to help others instead of making people feed so bad. If you think it's stupid and you don't have anything good to say, why not just ignore the question and don't respond to it? I think some of you owe an apology. Just because we are fortunate enough to know about the business does not mean that everybody is an expert. This is still a new industry that alot of people have never heard of until 2008 and 2009. Please don't be so mean to newbies.
Diamond, more than likely your customer will dictate the coverage they require for you to become their vendor. Regardless, you should work with an insurance agent, explain to him/her your endeavor, your customers requirements and heed his/her advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Crystal,
Unfortunately men (especially in manual trades) and our "rude & mean" retorts often parallel the catty and subtly cruel interchanges among some women. It is just a sad reality of life that many of us haven't yet out grown the playground environment.

It exists, nay... abounds, on nearly every construction job, and it has evolved (regressed and degenerated?) into a mark of manhood to not only be able to readily dish it out, but to also become calloused and thick skinned to the point that it is almost second nature.

No excuse. Not really even a good reason. But just the way it seems to be.
I'm sorry, but that was the most ignorant response I could have ever read. Are you serious??? I really hope you were just being sarcastic because it basically sounds like you are afraid of women coming into the business so you'd rather make them feel bad so that you can try to scare them off. And/or you honestly are pig-headed enough to basically imply that this is a "man's job???" Who raised you??? Scratch that, you must be either old and can't get with the millenium, or you just like to make ignorant comments in blogs. Maybe blogs just are not for you...just a thought. Parallel the catty...??? NOT!!! And we're not on a contruction site, so it does not apply here where people come to network and learn or grow. It sounds like you are saying...be ready to get them before they get you. I don't think the blog was made to hurt you or anyone else. Why be so insecure? Take it easy, relax a little. Just because women are rising does not mean that you should be so scared that you will be out of a job, it just means you have a little more competition to rise up to. Fight fire with water....just step your game up and become more competitive, not hateful, bitter, and ugly. The more you hate, the more you lose.

And you're right...there's no excuse and there's no good reason for how rude you were earlier or the reply you just posted here to me. I thought that kind of garbage went out in the 90's. Instead of maybe aplogizing and/or acknowledging that you were wrong, you'd rather justify your rudeness with ignorance??? That's not a playground environment, it's a bullying tactic....call it what it really is. Women are NOT in the least bit afraid of competition, in fact we invite it. Maybe that's what you're afraid of. Something to think about...or not, cause it's a waste of energy. While you're thinking of ways to be rude and mean, women are making things happen and climbing the ladder to pass you up. Is it wise to think of more bullying tactics that really won't work, or to think of ways to make your skills better so that you can compete. Maybe you need some women on your team so they can help you think like us. Hmmm. Wouldn't that be a way to keep up?

I could go on forever, so let me stop here. I'm not mad or anything, I'm just laughing at you and honestly hoping you were not serious :laughing:. Hopefully, it was just a little entertainment (a little stand up comedy). Because if not, women will laugh at you all the way to the bank while you allow us to take over by thinking you can bully us around instead of trying to compete.

Have a blessed day!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Diamond, more than likely your customer will dictate the coverage they require for you to become their vendor. Regardless, you should work with an insurance agent, explain to him/her your endeavor, your customers requirements and heed his/her advice.
I'm not the person who was asking. I knew the answer but saw that a few really didn't want to help the person with a simple yes or no. It was just mean is all. There are many of us who will answer and help others who have been misinformed, but there are others who love to either steer someone in the wrong direction, or bully them into staying away from the field. Very sad.
But thank you for answering the question because that's what should have happened by others in the first place. If we can't be nice, why not just ignore the post and go to something you feel is a more smarter question? Not speaking directly to you, it's just a point to the many meanies lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts