Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a few houses for Erie. Started out they don't use XMate any longer.....some cheap program, paid like 138 and it only gives you material cost on waste :rolleyes: Guess they think the guys don't deserve to be paid for carrying that waste on a roof, cutting it off then loading back in dumpster :eek:

Then they told me they allow nothing for valleys....I said that will void shingle warranty....they asked me where I read or learned that....so I asked him what he expected me to use under the shingles......he said just felt paper. This was all over my quote being $300 higher than his.

Where do they find these adjusters?

Anyone know if it specifically says a shingle warranty is void if nothing in valley?

rant over.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Started a few houses for Erie. Started out they don't use XMate any longer.....some cheap program, paid like 138 and it only gives you material cost on waste :rolleyes: Guess they think the guys don't deserve to be paid for carrying that waste on a roof, cutting it off then loading back in dumpster :eek:

Then they told me they allow nothing for valleys....I said that will void shingle warranty....they asked me where I read or learned that....so I asked him what he expected me to use under the shingles......he said just felt paper. This was all over my quote being $300 higher than his.

Where do they find these adjusters?

Anyone know if it specifically says a shingle warranty is void if nothing in valley?

rant over.
Show him the instructions printed on the wrapper.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rooferman, That's what I told him.........he seems to think directions are "suggestions" and do not void warranty.

·
Registered
785 Posts
When we run into this situation we tell them homeowner to call Home Depot and lowes for a quote. Most insurance companies will take three estimates and choose the lowest one to agree to. Lowes and HD will always be more expensive.

Mostly I'm curious as to how your quote is only $300.00 more at 130 pr sq.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When we run into this situation we tell them homeowner to call Home Depot and lowes for a quote. Most insurance companies will take three estimates and choose the lowest one to agree to. Lowes and HD will always be more expensive.

Mostly I'm curious as to how your quote is only $300.00 more at 130 pr sq.
My quote should have been more. I tried going easy on them so I could push it thru and get done, since the home is sold and closing this week on the 24th.

Keep in mind they added all the other extras like ridge shingles, dumpster, tear off, felt, 7/12 allowance.....his summary was around 250 average, even with the cheap program they are using to replace XMate.

He told me I was the first complaint he had......I told him to get use to it. I work for my customer, not the insurance. My estimate is being sent to Erie home office for approval now.

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Erie switched to Simbility for estimating which normally, if used correctly, is higher rates then xactimate. 20% I'm most cases. Download a free trial and play with it. Meanwhile a nice letter explaining that Erie has been put on Notice that they will be liable for any warranty issues will stop that madness. Unfortunately this will take a little time and the Ins Adj knows this and will count on you doing it anyway and "absorb" the loss.

When I adjust claims for homeowners/exterior companies we get O&P on all roofing except the metals (flashing, drip edge etc). It's a concession most companies will accept.

·
Registered
785 Posts
FremontREO said:
Erie switched to Simbility for estimating which normally, if used correctly, is higher rates then xactimate. 20% I'm most cases. Download a free trial and play with it. Meanwhile a nice letter explaining that Erie has been put on Notice that they will be liable for any warranty issues will stop that madness. Unfortunately this will take a little time and the Ins Adj knows this and will count on you doing it anyway and "absorb" the loss. When I adjust claims for homeowners/exterior companies we get O&P on all roofing except the metals (flashing, drip edge etc). It's a concession most companies will accept.
Even statefarm? Even with 3 trades State Farm is getting hard to deal with as far as o and p goes here in ga.

·
Sean
5,519 Posts
I generally point them to this page - http://blog.sls-construction.com/2013/getting-details-right-roof-flashing

And I also highlight the appropriate code - as mentioned - If you wish to know the code minimums for each type of roofing, they can be found in the 2009 IRC under section R905. They generally fall under .X.8 or the “Flashings” heading for each type. I must quickly point out that felt aka tar paper is not an option listed & you should refer to and install in “accordance with manufacturer’s installation instructions”

1 - 12 of 12 Posts