Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys. I am a radiant heat component supplier, and I am trying to get a better insight on how these products are actually installed.

Specifically, I am looking at installing under non-tile surfaces. Hardwood, laminate, vinyl.

In Europe they are using a 1/4" thick Extruded Polystyrene (rigid sheets) called Depron when installing under laminate or vinyl. There also seems to be a softer roll-out material used by some installers. I haven't seen anything like that in my search in the U.S. I can find Polystyrene, but only 1" thick or more. Is the material around, and I haven't found it? Or do U.S. installers use a different insulation under radiant? Or do U.S. installers skip insulating under the radiant, and instead trust the fiberglass batts under the sub-floor in the joist space?

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Hi, guys. I am a radiant heat component supplier, and I am trying to get a better insight on how these products are actually installed.

Specifically, I am looking at installing under non-tile surfaces. Hardwood, laminate, vinyl.

In Europe they are using a 1/4" thick Extruded Polystyrene (rigid sheets) called Depron when installing under laminate or vinyl. There also seems to be a softer roll-out material used by some installers. I haven't seen anything like that in my search in the U.S. I can find Polystyrene, but only 1" thick or more. Is the material around, and I haven't found it? Or do U.S. installers use a different insulation under radiant? Or do U.S. installers skip insulating under the radiant, and instead trust the fiberglass batts under the sub-floor in the joist space?
Welcome to CT, Newbie here, but maybe some one can answer.

Sounds like fan fold to me or something like that, I'v seen it in 4 foot widths folded 2' wide total length is something like 20' easy to cut down to a size that fits.(like between joists)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts