Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built my share of 24' wide hip roofed structures, with rafters or trusses 24" oc and 4/12 roofs.

I like to insulate with blown in cellulose and I like a rafter chute in each and every rafter bay. I put in the rafter chutes 8' up the roof and plug the holes, then shoot in the cellulose.

I've retrofitted a few roofs with vent chutes before insulating and I must say it is less than enjoyable.

Now I have a roof, stick built, 16" oc. The soffits are close to 4' deep. There are some vents in the plywood soffits, but only every 8' or so, and small vents. As for the rafter bays, they all seem to be blocked with fiberglass batting, then there is some fiberglass blown in.

I was removing the soffits (other type of soffit) in the kitchen, and this let me expose the last foot of the attic and the soffit opening. In the corners, the first 3 or 4 rafter bays are blocked by the hip rafter and there is nothing to do but leave these unventilated.

For the other bays, I am somewhat able to shove a 4' rafter chute up there, then cut one in half and all it on. I am stapling these in place and plugging the opening to the soffit with some fiberglass. Then I wil fill everything with cellulose and take the attic to r-60.

Does anyone have a smart way to install the rafter chutes in a remodel? The only thing I can think of is to rip out the plywood soffit, clear the rafter bay with a rake or something, then shove two 4' rafter chutes or a 4' and a 2' rafter chute up there and staple them on, call it good, and install a fully ventilated metal soffit.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If i am understanding you correct. You can't get to it from inside. Only thing I Could think of is take the gutter board off. Gutters would be a pita to take off tho.
Make your own chutes, using luan & 2*2's, then they would compress the insulation unlike foam ones. Slid them in.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If i am understanding you correct. You can't get to it from inside. Only thing I Could think of is take the gutter board off. Gutters would be a pita to take off tho.
Make your own chutes, using luan & 2*2's, then they would compress the insulation unlike foam ones. Slid them in.
Good advice.... A PITA for sure.... but it would definitely do the trick.

Or, you could pull all the soffits down and start from scratch. It would be faster to do it this way, but more of a mess.

Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. :blink:

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts