Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall seeing this in a house in Colorado, but have never seen it in the north East-

it was a new construction, but in the basement, there were large floor to ceiling insulating batts that were mounted to the wall, off the joists.

It looked almost like a giant white blanket covering the walls.

Anyone ever see this stuff?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This blanket is very common in this area. It allows the builder to meet insulation code requirements in the cheapest way possible, without any insulation on the exterior, where it belongs.

Most of this stuff gets removed sooner or later when part of the basement is finished, then some new insulation system is devised.

I say put 2" of xps on the exterior from the get-go, bury it, and be done.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Its exactly what it is, blanket insulation designed for basements or crawl spaces. It usually runs from a sill plate and depends how you doing it, but most here use Hilti gun and special fasteners (with plastic washers) and drive them right into concrete wall or block. They also have a tape to seal the seams.
Some will use furring strips and nail it that way. I know Manville makes blanket insulation and that is what pretty much is being used around here that I've seen.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at some options for my detached garage- Was thinking the blanket would be a good fit, but XPS it is. I only have an option for interior, its fully brick and block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts