Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My wife and I bought this mixed use building in Bethlehem, NH that was built in 1877. It's retail space on the 1st floor and a 3 bedroom apartment on the 2nd floor. The apartment is in good shape so we are leaving that alone for now. We are in the process of interior demo on the 1st floor and basement to reveal the structure and see what needs to be repaired.

The good news is there doesn't appear to be much rot so far. You can see all the water staining but it's dry and in good shape. My initial plan was to spray foam all the exterior walls to air seal but now I realize there probably isn't a vapor barrier barrier on the other side of sheathing between the clapboards. (You can see the exterior through the window in the picture below)

Do I need to remove all the clapboards, Tyvek wrap, and then reside the building? We are doing all new windows, doors, etc. I want it to be "tight" so it doesn't cost a million dollars to heat when it's -22 out. Can we just spray foam directly into the walls? I worry the sheathing won't be able to dry when it gets wet and will rot without some kind of barrier?

We plan to keep this place long term and will both live and run a retail store out of the space. If you owned this and planned to use it for yourself, what would you do?

Property Fixture Wood Interior design Flooring

Brown Rectangle Wood Plank Composite material

Sky Property Cloud Window Building

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.