Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
One local GC has a portable bathroom on a 5x8 single axle trailer. It is heated/cooled and even has heated water for a sink. It utilizes a flexible sewer hose that he connects to the sewer line for the house. (The sewer line is one of the first things that goes in.) I have not seen it set up where city sewer is not available but I have heard he has a holding tank for those situations. The trailer has jacks on all four corners for leveling (They remove the wheels.). The city gave him some grief about it initially but it has gained acceptance. I understand there are a number of these in use in my area. I don't know where one is now or I would take a pic. I have considered building one.

Reactions: Joasis

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Cut a hole in the side of the john and point a salamander towards the opening. Wait is that a bad idea ? :laughing:

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
A 1500 watt heater will keep an uninsulated unit warm at -40 degrees.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I saw one in Germany which I think was owned by the local motocross club. It had two toilets and a row of sinks. We towed it with a tractor. It was connected with flex water lines and I don't remember where the waste water went. There was a set of stairs going up to it, so it probably drained into a honey wagon.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Ours only received a "partial" cleaning today. I try to avoid going in there. I rarely will drop trow in a porta potty.

·
Super Moderator
27,719 Posts
i only poop at home..
I'm the only GC i know who does a deuce in the Porta Johns. Disinfectant and toilet paper are a staple in your truck box when you grow up on the jobsite.

I have absolutely zero experience doing the deed in 5 degree weather...... don'tlplan on changing that:whistling

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have absolutely zero experience doing the deed in 5 degree weather...... don'tlplan on changing that:whistling
It's quite a thrill, John, especially if it's like the ones in the state parks that are vented below. Woo!!!:eek:

I used to have them set it next to the power pole and put a milkhouse heater in it. Kept it cozy.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
TMI I'm sure but how long does it take to eliminate?:laughing:

I can be in and out in about 3 minutes. Why is it that guys really need to be so cozy and comfy in there?

I just drink a crap load of coffee in the morning and take care of that before I leave the house. Pun intended.:jester:

·
Registered
534 Posts
You train your body to do the deed at home so you never have to enter one of those critters. On the rare chance that you need to, its like a speed race to get in and out of those things. I try not to ever use them.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I just finished demoing a large basement. Except for the toilet. I put up temporary walls around it until the temps get back up into the teens, then I'll use the Porta~John. I've got IBS , it's bad enough without throwing in a dose of frostbite.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I was told during the siege of Stalingrad in the winter, it was so cold that the soldiers had to take a pair of scissors with them to the latrine.

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
muskoka guy said:
You train your body to do the deed at home so you never have to enter one of those critters. On the rare chance that you need to, its like a speed race to get in and out of those things. I try not to ever use them.
I got before I leave the house but being I generally do all new construction there are times I have no choice lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts