Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that has an addition that they built on top of a deck. They insulated the deck joists with rolled batt insulation and put PT ply underneath the joists.

Now there are some pieces of the PT ply that are coming down. There is about 12-14 inches of crawl space underneath the deck. The room is 17x24 Any suggestions as to how to fix the pieces that are coming down or an alternative solution to put underneath the deck joists?

There is also no access from the top as they put tongue and grove subfloor down on top of the joists with carpet on top

Any suggestions or tip swould be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought of that!! I am 6'4" and 220 so I know I won't fit! Sounds easy but it is directly in the middle of the decking.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Thought of that!! I am 6'4" and 220 so I know I won't fit! Sounds easy but it is directly in the middle of the decking.

I once jacked a cottage with about that amount of space. My problem is similar to yours. I was too big. Luck had it I had one guy that was skinny and could fit, except he couldn't stand close spaces.

I ended up digging it out so I could fit. Rather uncomfortable for me.

I didn't want the job so I have doubled what me price should have been and added an extra $5000 too boot. Just too much money to turn down.

I guess what you need to do is crawl under someway and figure out why the plywood is coming down . Whoever you send under make sure you have them take lots of pictures so you can figure it out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I once jacked a cottage with about that amount of space. My problem is similar to yours. I was too big. Luck had it I had one guy that was skinny and could fit, except he couldn't stand close spaces.

I ended up digging it out so I could fit. Rather uncomfortable for me.

I didn't want the job so I have doubled what me price should have been and added an extra $5000 too boot. Just too much money to turn down.

I guess what you need to do is crawl under someway and figure out why the plywood is coming down . Whoever you send under make sure you have them take lots of pictures so you can figure it out.:thumbsup:
Either delaminating or they used an 8 penny nail of the non galvanized variety. Depending on how long it's been up there it is possible for the treated plywood to rot the heads off.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Would there be anyway to strap it? What I mean is to toss a rope underneath from one side to the other. Take the rope and tie off to a strapping material. Then pull the strapping through. Once you have strapping on both sides, fasten one side off to rim joist.

Then maybe rig up a 4x4 post with a rachet or something similar to tighten the strapping (not too tight) but you'll have to do it in a vertical manner as to be able to fasten off to the rim joist while in tension. The tension is going to have to be from fastened side to the unfastened side with the strap running up along the rim joist as to be able to fasten it in tension.

I can see this at 18-24 " centers missing the butt joints of the plywood, working. It would save a lot of digging. Once everything is fastened off trim out the joist with coil stock or put the siding back on.

Might have to run a couple temporary straps to take some of the tension off the fallen plywood as it may be 'formed' in that position and want to stay there making a 100% return to original position put a lot of stress on the strapping. Once everything is strapped you could remove the temp one you used to get the plywood back to close the original shape

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,823 Posts
It's generally been my experience with situations like that, that the only real solution is to be willing to get dirty. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less, but if that's hard to deal with, good luck finding an office job. :laughing:

Seriously, from the description I can't think of a better method to get 'er done than crawling in there and just dealing with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You're gonna have to get dirty but I would definately charge extra due to the fact it is going to take you longer than normal.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
As others said either hire a skinny kid who is not afraid or dig it out so you will fit. Either way it will be a good money maker. I have an older guy who works with me once in awhile just for these situations, he is about 5'6" and 140lbs and he is not afraid of anything. I also pay him very well for this work and he is worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Seriously, from the description I can't think of a better method to get 'er done than crawling in there and just dealing with it.

Palm nailer and a couple of handfuls of galvanized nails and it shouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: Tinstaafl
1 - 12 of 12 Posts