Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have woodland in Wisconsin and am having a pole buillding/cabin put up to use as a shop for making rustic wood objects from the land. What is the best approach for insulating the metal building? Do I use a vapor barrier? My concern is moisture being trapped between the vapor barrier and the outside metal shell.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I had my fella's put up half inch foamboard on the inside of the last one I built. The customer pulled a swift one and didn't pay for the foam or foam install. It turned into a real pain in the ass, and cost me all my profit.

Bob

·
Registered
66 Posts
Look at 3" or 4" plastic backed roll insulation. White plastic side goes down. Condensation will not be a problem. If it's a trussed building consider a metal ceiling and blow in 10" of cellulose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Vapor Barrier

The vapor barrier (Tyvek or plastic) should go on the outside before the metal siding is installed.
If it is put on the inside after the insulation is installed it will suck your will to live!Use can foam on the bottom of outside walls to seal off gaps between the bottom 2x nailer and metal siding.
Metal siding on the inside for walls and ceiling will make for easy clean up of dust and cobwebs.Another plus is no need to finnish of the drywall that will get cracks and need paint.
Blown insulation for the ceiling is the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts