Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I would say no unless you were looking to absorb some sound or were trying to isolate heating zones. RT

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Be very quiet. :cheesygri There is a thread around here on sound proofing. I know from having rentals for 20 years that sound between floors is a tough one unless you can put gypcrete or light weight concrete on the upper floor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drop ceiling is out of the question for code height and asthetic reasons. What are my options with rock ceiling?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what about resiliant channels? I have been doing some research, do they help sound more than insulation?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
yes

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Homesote, then sheetrock
With a space in between if you have enough room, even for just firring strips

An ultra dense vinyl sheet (soundproof) then sheetrock will work much better, but it would be more expensive (though less labor)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, I decided to bag the rc channels. I bought some r-13 insulation, should the paper face the upstairs floor or the basement ceiling?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
rspainhower said:
ok, I decided to bag the rc channels. I bought some r-13 insulation, should the paper face the upstairs floor or the basement ceiling?

R-13 that won't help you we used it for years it's no bueno for insulation or sound proofing. (Unless you live in a hot spot.)

Go with a R-20 something and 5/8's rock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts