Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work solo, so when I'm installing crown I let the far end temporarily rest on a finishing nail until I can tack it in. If I'm doing 3 piece crown, or decorative ceiling moulding I staple loops of fishing line to the ceiling to hold it in place until I can nail it up.

The ideal solution would be another helper on a ladder, but I'd like to stay solo. I've seen it done with several ladders and blocking, but the fishing line takes up less space in the truck and it's easier to carry!

Anyone else have any tips doing ceiling moulding solo?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought they would only work on the verticals. Could I use them to install the base on the ceiling?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I alway place an 8d hand nail in the center of the run. Then work the but end,then the other. When working alone. Most times in the past I've always set the crown alone

I should add not under the crown through it just above cove bead. The 8 d nail will grab the top plates no matter the size of the stand crown used.

Measuring the same way. Place a mark on the wall at a whole nnumber ie 8 ft 10 ft then the other way and add. No need for any more then simple. A pre cut stick of shoe at 10 ft helps as well.

All the things props etc are neat but I know for a fact in your area you will never get paid for the additional b.s. clean and done is what you get paid for only and that isn't much keep it simple

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I thought they would only work on the verticals. Could I use them to install the base on the ceiling?
No. If I'm on the same page as you, in that situation I would use my third hand poles from fast cap. Nailing a board flat against the ceiling is a whole different story. If you have enough of it another set of hands might make life a lot easier.

Maybe you could make some brackets that you could screw onto the wall and then slide the piece in, between the top of the bracket and the ceiling making a sandwich.??? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,128 Posts
I support in the middle, which is frequently sprung. Pipe hanging strap scraps for a hanging bracket, with a little tape over it to keep from marring the work. Slip on, slip off, and I can bend it however I want the piece to be held while I work on the ends.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I use something like a wood shelf bracket with a pc of 1/8" x 1" wide alum strap screwed to the wall side of the bracket and a keyhole slot at almost the very end. Slip it over a screw on the wall and I can adjust how far below the ceiling the wide bracket it 2" 3" whatever. Nail the ceiling trim on. remove bracket and keep going.

I also made the crown straps years ago out of the same alum strap/bar stock, I slip them over my belt behind my back so I always know where they are. Until I lean against a wall.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
I made up little brackets like this one. In this photo I have it on a t-track for use as a trim rack/trim tree. They can be screwed to the wall too, the holes are covered by crown later.

I use 3rd hand poles too, but sometimes ceilings are too high for the poles I have. Built up crown often goes on high ceilings.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I made up little brackets like this one. In this photo I have it on a t-track for use as a trim rack/trim tree. They can be screwed to the wall too, the holes are covered by crown later.

I use 3rd hand poles too, but sometimes ceilings are too high for the poles I have. Built up crown often goes on high ceilings.
Thats like what I use but mine is not that nice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts