Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing full over lay doors with 1x fascia & crown, so the fascia protrudes even with the doors then the crown.
So... I have a 25" refrigerator panel to provide a nice counter top return finish on the over hang. Now the cabinet over the fridge is 24" , would you slide your upper cabinet out flush to the panel or tuck it back so the door ends up flush with the panel?
The fascia bumps out to the doors projection anyway so no harm either way. The gain by tucking allows direct wall attachments to the wall rather than a built up cleat.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Yes, definitely Tom, like others said, pack the back out and make it flush. We do this all the time with 30" Ref panels.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,878 Posts
Depends on what the other end of cabinets do. If there are applied panels to the end of the run cabinets and they stick out and the door is flush with them, that's what you do. Otherwise do it the flush way.

This cabinet should have had 1 3/8" overly hinges to cover the panels so it looks like the rest of the cabinets.. Doubt it does though.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again.

Btw these are Hanson cabinets, never heard of them prior. Although the supplier raved about them, I'm not m pressed. It's a mid grade.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like to run the ref cab up past the flanking cabinets when there is a fascia above as it gives me something to fasten to. But if doing this - than the cabinet would be flush to the panel not the cabinet door. If the panel is only as tall as the top of the wall cabinet it can go either way as you still need to block it for the fascia.
Is there a tall cabinet on the other side say a pantry or oven cabinet? Does that need to be packed out?

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like to run the ref cab up past the flanking cabinets when there is a fascia above as it gives me something to fasten to. But if doing this - than the cabinet would be flush to the panel not the cabinet door. If the panel is only as tall as the top of the wall cabinet it can go either way as you still need to block it for the fascia.
Is there a tall cabinet on the other side say a pantry or oven cabinet? Does that need to be packed out?
The panel goes as tall the upper cabinet and there is nothing but filler on the end. Since the fascia extends out 3/4" to the front edge of the door, the panel could go eitherway really . Whether or not the jog created by the panel adds character or not would be the issue. I don't think the hinge would bind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts