Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I am a painter and am looking at a job that will require installing roof jacks for me to access dormers, etc.

Is there anyone who can tell me the best way to install them and remove them, or is there a site with detailed instructions you can point me too?

Ideally, I'd like to have a roofer come in and do the install for me, however I haven't proposed this to the homeowner yet.

Mike

·
Registered
269 Posts
Make sure they are on the joists and not just into the sheeting. You can fastenen them with with nails or heavy deck screws, but 16p nails is what I use. When I'm done I just drive the nails down flush & tar over them with roofing cement. Make sure you tar over the fastener points when they are removed, don't want to be creating leaks up there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply housedodcs...leaks are my main worry! Sounds like a straight forward solution you have.
I know joists are every 16"...doesa stud finder work on a roof or do you just tap with a hammer to find them?

Mike

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
bilug, a good studfinder adjusted to deep mode should locate them.
Not all rafters are on 16's, I find 24's more common. Locate 2 in the field and you can assume that the rest are the same.

·
Registered
269 Posts
bilug said:
Thanks for the reply housedodcs...leaks are my main worry! Sounds like a straight forward solution you have.
I know joists are every 16"...doesa stud finder work on a roof or do you just tap with a hammer to find them?

Mike

Glad to help bilug and Welcome aboard!!

Make sure you get the jacks all level and use decent lumber for planks. Keep in mind at all times where you're at on the platform when you're working. In general just make safety the first priorty! Probably not telling you nothing you don't already know, but better to error on the side of caution.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Or you could dis-assemble the roofing to make sure you both indeed hit the rafter, and do not put holes throught the shingles.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Avoid punching holes in the roof. Maybe you can use ropes instead??? If not you will need to break the tabbing cement and carefully lift the exposed part of the shingle, insert the jack and nail using a wonder bar or something. When finished, pound the nails the rest of the way in, cover the nail heads w/mastic, add tabbing cement and puch the exposure of the shingle back down into place. No holes in the exposed part of the shingle.
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to look into the wonder bar idea...sounds like a good one.
In my further studies on solving this problem I may have found a reputable roofer to install and remove the rigging for me, which is better for everyone!

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts