Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a security firm, and we were just asked to install about 18 induction loops at a vehicle gate. Since this is something we have never really done, I am not clear on the time required to do this. I understand what involved in terms of cutting and re-sealing the roadway, but figuring out the time involved is hurting my head.

If any of you have done this type of work, how long would you estimate to install 6 foot diameter loops. You would be working at night and traffic will not be an issue at all (gate is closed). You also have to ensure that any loops you install are functional at the end of that nights work.

At this point I am not clear on if the surface is concrete or asphalt. We are thinking it is asphalt, but I am waiting on that answer.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Check out BDLoops

They have a lot of good info and you can buy premade loops, loop sealer, loop detectors, etc.

How long it takes is a function of the equipment you will use, I use a demo saw, but only install one of two here and there, never that many at once.

For this I would likely rent a floor saw.

Hold open loops are quicker to install that activation loops because of the proximity to the operator. I would expect a guy with a saw to cut at least 4-6 in a day, 2 guys to follow behind to clean, install wire, and seal.

My best guess is 3 men for 3-4 days (8 hours of productivity) figuring travel and set up, I would bid 120 manhours, this is high, but I like to be safe.

Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I left out a few details here. First off this is a Federal Gov't job and this is apparently an existing system with what has been described to me as "poorly installed" loops. The customer has the new loops sitting there in a box and they want them all installed cleanly and correctly. That means uninstalling all the old crap too, how much would that change your time estimate?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It depends on why they are poorly installed, if the wires floated up but the cuts are clean, it will save you time, just chase out the old sealant and scrape out all the old wires then reinstall.

If they are in the wrong location, or poorly cut, then you still need to chase them out, takes less than an hour per, including clean up. If you can save the "Homerun" it will help. You can not splice into the old wires, you can chase out the homerun, then install new wires.

A 4" grinder will chase the old loops out typically unless they were installed too deep, then just use a demo saw

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, they just called me back with some clarification... these are going to be circular loops mounted in the center of each lane! Apparently the rectangular loops are causing issues because f the way this gate is configured. I will be hiring a concrete cutting company to cut those because it will save me a ton of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts