Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning to build a deck on a stucco home. Originally i was planning to attach the structure to the home, but realized i would have to break up the stucco, put the ledger on, do all my flashing stuff and then repair the stucco.

Too much work

would you just free stand the deck?

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Definitely free standing deck. Set it off the house quite a ways too. This way you'll only have to disturb the stucco in the small areas you anchor the posts from the rope bridge that will allow access from the back door to the deck.

Figure two lags with eyes at the ends of them on the top and bottom of the bridge harness. Make sure you use galv lags though so some PITA inspector doesn't come breaking your balls about it.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Diamond Saw in a Zee(1/2" hemmed leg in stucco,vertical 1/2" plus deck board depth, out 1 7/8" over ledger to drip edge) angle tin flashing ~ 1/2" deep, fill grove with 50 yr sanded caulk, inbed flash, recaulk and wedge with lead wedges if neccessary.
I use vertical peices of cedar lath(stapled to house side of ledger) to space the ledger board out an 1/4" on each side of the anchors under the flashing to allow it to dry out.

Is the stucco on some cheesy soft insulation preventing tightening the through bolts/all thread studs to the rim joist or footing?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Jlc mag had a story on a freestanding deck on a house that was brick and they didn't want to anchor though that into the rim joist.

Or 4th generation's post above is a good example if you want to cut it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts