Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(1.) I am ready to install Wilsonart Estate Plus tiles in my kitchen, dinette area and utility room. Unfortunately, I failed to order the Wilsonart glue that I now know is required on at least the first row of tiles. Due to a weeks delay when some of my items were lost in transit, I have exceeded the time allocated to this project and do not want to loose this weekend waiting for a shipment of the glue. I found a glue at Loews that I wonder if it will work as well as Wilsonart's. It is Precision Components Flooring Installation Glue, "Works on All Brands of Laminate and Wood Flooring, Water based PVA adhesive, D-3 Certified, Resists Moisture".
Since this seems to be a relatively new product line with Wilsonart, I wonder if their branded glue is in fact required?
(2) The installation recommendations are to "install from left to right". Since the Wilsonart locks from the horizontal position, is there any reason to not put a row down the centerline and work in both directions from that? I have quite a few cabinets and short walls to work around and it seems it would be easier to start in the middle.
Thanks for any quick replies.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
great choice, Wilsonart is a great brand. But you do not want to use some others glue unless you want the warranty to be toast. And they can tell. There are microscopic things in the glue which Wilsonart puts in there, to tell if the right glue was used.
I was not aware that gluing the first row was needed. Where did you hear about this?
I never glue the first row, but that's just me.
Also in addition, the core of laminate brands are very specific, and I am sure it would be a waste of time to use another type of glue.
I would lay the floor the way Wilsonart says to. I am sure there are good reasons, although I have no clue on why. But easier is rarely better when it comes to remodeling.
Although it still may work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will take your word for the glue with the warranty caveat. :-( I will be out of town until next Wednesday evening and then out of town company is coming Friday. The refrigerator and freezer have been moved out of the kitchen so I guess I can expect a few more wifely installed knots on my head...
Gluing the first row is only recommended to keep tiles (not planks) from shifting when you start setting the second row. There is a caution that any slight misalignment may cause chipping on the corners when you are installing them corner to corner (e.g., four corners touching each other). I am, at this moment, considering offsetting the tiles to, hopefully, minimize that problem. But first, I need to check my layout to be sure that will not cause me to be short tiles! The following link is to the article I referred to about gluing the first row http://www.fastfloors.com/media/catalog/laminate_floors/wilsonart/!install/WilsonartInstallation.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Laminate Tile Installation Problem??

Re: installation of Wilsonart Estate Plus laminate tile.
I have finished all but a few pieces of trim and it is beautiful...BUT, when the washing machine gets even slightly off balance, it vibrates excessively! I have checked for level and tried to be sure each leg carries its share of the load. When it is vibrating, you can put your hand on the floor by any leg and feel the floor also vibrating in a radius of several inches around each leg.
I assume this is because of the rubber padding under the tile since there was no problem prior to installing the new flooring. The old floor was 3/4" plywood on screeds over a tar covered concrete slab foundation, a 1955 vinyl-asbestos tile and a layer of 1980 vinyl, self sticking tiles. The two layers of tile were removed prior to installing the new laminate tiles.
I am concerned first that the very strong vibration will eventually destroy the tongue and groove that snaps each tile together and second that it is not good for the washing machine.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what did you do about it?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have never experienced this problem and suspect your washing machine balancing system is malfunctioning. It was probably not noticible on the old floor as the 2 layers of vinyl were softer and the machine had pocketed itself in.
For a quick test, put some 1/8"+ rubber gasket material under each support and see if it stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts