Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
joists are 2x12's 12" OC and I'm tucking a 11.25" x 3.5" Paralam in mid span (correcting poor design issues).

so, driving the 3 1/2" 16d nails into the Paralam is killing me-I've resorted to predrilling which is the only way to not bend half the nails. the other issue is driving the 10d 1.5" hanger nails-I'll pick up a palm nailer for this task. are there any other options for narrow bays? How about driving nails into the Paralam-I switched to non-coated, which did help considerably. any suggestions here?

I've only got 13 hangers done-65 more to go :eek:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Do you need the 16d's? Is that what's called out on the specs from the engineer? You can get by with 10d's in general, but make sure from the plans/specs first. Next question is are you using the nails from Simpson? They are more resistant to bending.

One of the nail guns made specifically for this usually gets it close. You may have to sink half of them the rest of the way. Nailing Paralams are fun, aren't they?

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engineer didn't give specs for the Simpson hangers, but Simpson indicates (6) 10d in the joists and (10)16's in the beam.

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using U210 hangers and the website indicates (10) 10d's or 16d's-so I'll switch to 10d's on the header :thumbsup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I'm using U210 hangers and the website indicates (10) 10d's or 16d's-so I'll switch to 10d's on the header :thumbsup:
Cool....that's why I was asking. It's at least less to drive in.

Palm nailer should work for those also if in a bind. I wouldn't hand nail it that's for sure.

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
after picking up a palm nailer for $69 this morning, the time savings is amazing! I had never used one before, but driving a 3.5" nail into a Paralam took all of 15 seconds! only downside is smaller 10d (coated) were too small diameter and bent more easiliy but it's not an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts