Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at installing subflooring and oak hardwood floors in a house converted from an old barn. The room is on first floor. The current flooring (old barn flooring) sits on top of joists. The joists are raised above about 3 feet off the earthen floor beneath it. The foundation is old stone. Where the project gets really complicated is that there is an old well beneath the current flooring. The well is not used anymore. At this time I do not know how deep the well is but upon inspection I could see water and mud about 4 feet down.

Do I need to plug the well or can I cover it and put a vapor retarder down? Before I discovered the well, my initial plan was the remove the current flooring. Replace any rotten joists, install a vapor retarder and cover it with a 2" layer of pea stone; then insulate between the joists and put plywood down. Do I need to plug the well or can I cover the opening and install a vapor retarder to resist any moisture/condensation from the well?

Also there is no formal ventilation in the space between the soil and the joists. Do I need to install ventilation and if so, should I ventilate to the outside air or to the heated room above it?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts