Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installing deck ballusters/picketts using 2 3/8" 316 stainless steel rd head
nails 21 deg plastic collated, would someone rec a good gun to use for this, been using my Hitachi
90ac framing stick nailer heavy. thanks in advance. Help!

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Give one of those pickets a kick after it dries out. Then I'd recomend a good screw gun.

Nails sometimes work ok.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
load - reply

Carpenter SFO: thks for the reply, attaching "Ballusters" to top rail and to bottom rail, (some folks refer to them as picketts) the new Bostiitch LPF21PL looks good, finally a gun light small framer, by the way the ballusters are 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" typical deck ballusters, thanks again
Happy Thanksgiving if I don't hear back. Killdevil @Home Tech Solutions
Fairfax, Va.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
load - reply

Golden V:

in North Carolina?? on the coast, not that I have been inspected on??

still great advise/info. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
killdevil said:
Gary H: thks! know what you mean, no bs, hilti get the f job done..thks!!
happy thanksgiving.
The magizane will fit Hilti corded and cordless drills. I think. I paid $211 for it delivered to my house. Well worth the money.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,962 Posts
Did I miss something?

Nails are allowed on pickets and screws aren't? I second John's :eek::eek:. I'd say go ahead and move because you're living in a place that adheres to civil war code.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
killdevil said:
do you remember where you bought it from? Hilti smd50 right?
thks
I called up the Hilti number and they put me to a Michigan salesman. I just call him up for a price and he charges it to my cc. Ships the same day from Indiana .

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Truthfully, in my 40 years of deck building, I'm pretty sure that no inspector has checked to see whether my balusters/pickets have been nailed or screwed. Maybe Florida is different.

We rarely use wooden balusters any longer but we used to use a galv. 2" finish nail on all 4 sides or a 3" screw throught the rails, with a finish nail to keep them from spinning.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts