Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Is it an option to cut filler panels and stain to match the cabs? Then just run your base right up to the filler panel? Since they should have gone all the way to the wall anyway

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Yea that’s why I asked what the finish was. If painted you could get buy w/fillers less noticeable. Of course top & sides would have to be filled as well. I’m w/Robbie, pull em out & finish walls install base-returns done. All you can do

Mike

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,282 Posts
Is it an option to cut filler panels and stain to match the cabs? Then just run your base right up to the filler panel? Since they should have gone all the way to the wall anyway

Bit then you’d have to run those filler strips along the top and back as well.

Sad design. And the GC flubbed on the order of trades with that design.

·
90%-er
1,310 Posts
Bit then you’d have to run those filler strips along the top and back as well.

Sad design. And the GC flubbed on the order of trades with that design.
Yeah... I still think it's a better move for the homeowner. Once you've got the table saw out and the correct stain figured out, what's a few more minutes for a couple more pieces?

Still may not be practical for other reasons, I don't know the whole situation, but if it were possible, this is the route I'd be taking

·
Registered
10,924 Posts
I would glue it with power grab and some extra glue. Twist it tight with a piece of 1x4 or whatever. Use a piece of shoe moulding to tool the ooze, and scrape out the rest with flat scrap.

Another way, if you're right-handed, is to stand on your head facing inward, use a squeeze tube of tub-and-tile caulk, apply, and tool it with your forefinger.

But seriously, I think a lefty could caulk that with a gun.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Just did this .Usually I use hot melt glue but in this situation I suspect I would end up with gaps between wall and base . I tried double sided tape last week . The stuff I used failed in one of the three places . I believe they have better tape then I used .I like the caulk idea the best due to being able to wedge it tight and leave to dry .

·
Registered
GC
171 Posts
I have some 1x3 poplar base I need to install but there are built-ins 4” away from the wall and 30” deep so I can’t reach the back wall or more than about 18” beyond the front of the cabinets. I can pre-paint the base but any ideas on how to attach the base and caulk the top edge? Also dealing with steel studs which is never fun. View attachment 508086 View attachment 508086
Why on earth would anyone do that with built ins? The reason they're called built ins is because they're BUILT IN. That means they're made to fit the space, not be kinda close. How the hell do you clean that gap when the cat pisses in it? How do you paint it? Did they also leave random holes in the walls? Why not build in a few plumbing leaks as well?

That entire design offends me. Whoever is responsible should be ***** slapped into next week.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
20,816 Posts
So...watcha gonna do Eric?
We fully expect pictures after it's done....lol.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lots of CA glue on the back of the baseboard, accelerator on the drywall. Be quick, hold it for a minute as you'll want lots of CA glue.

Don't get the CA glue on the floor and use acetone if you do.

She'll hold. If not forever, for long enough for someone to renovate that thing

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
add the caulk .if drywall doesn't hold CA it will keep it tight till the caulk sets up .the caulk will not fail .the CA might .dry wall and wood maynot set tight together ,the caulk will deal with cracks better

·
Registered
Remodel
27,565 Posts
Why on earth would anyone do that with built ins? The reason they're called built ins is because they're BUILT IN. That means they're made to fit the space, not be kinda close. How the hell do you clean that gap when the cat pisses in it? How do you paint it? Did they also leave random holes in the walls? Why not build in a few plumbing leaks as well?

That entire design offends me. Whoever is responsible should be * slapped into next week.
Paint it with a 24" handled hot dog roller. It'll fit and take a lot of dips....

·
Contractor
4,687 Posts
I would make the inside corner, glue nail then slide it into place then to install put some adhesive on the back and place a small shim or a 5-1 paint tool (always on hand w/ trim work) to put pressure between the small base return and the cabinet. Might need a block mid-span to push the base closer to the wall-sheetrock corners are notorious for buildup which leaves a bow on short walls.

·
Kowboy
2,010 Posts
Kowboy... if this is a for-real pic of base you installed, forget the rest of the line, what the heck happened in that corner?

View attachment 508222
KAP:

As you know, I fancy myself a bit of a writer. As a writer, we make $#!t up. I was waiting for my employee to finish up a sink polish job and had killed all the time I could on Facethingie, so I started walking the neighborhood for exercise. I wandered into this new build and couldn't believe my eyes. I should have taken a picture of the wall tile/shower wall cap detail. It was even worse.

Maybe next time I'll say it's a picture of one of Robie's jobs. Or yours. lol.

Here's another whopper I told, but it was good enough to win a flash fiction contest:

·
Registered
Custom
12,744 Posts
KAP:

As you know, I fancy myself a bit of a writer. As a writer, we make $#!t up. I was waiting for my employee to finish up a sink polish job and had killed all the time I could on Facethingie, so I started walking the neighborhood for exercise. I wandered into this new build and couldn't believe my eyes. I should have taken a picture of the wall tile/shower wall cap detail. It was even worse.

Maybe next time I'll say it's a picture of one of Robie's jobs. Or yours. lol.

Here's another whopper I told, but it was good enough to win a flash fiction contest:

So since we can only go by what you write, I take it then when you say you installed something, the first question going forward should be whether or not you're using your writing license to "make $#!t up"...

Not really leaving us much of a choice when you say you installed something (not some other guy on a new build) and then when questioned on it, go on to say you made it up...

Got it...

And no, I didn't read your supposed award winning whopper of a story (that I guess could also be another whopper)...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts