Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some 1x3 poplar base I need to install but there are built-ins 4” away from the wall and 30” deep so I can’t reach the back wall or more than about 18” beyond the front of the cabinets. I can pre-paint the base but any ideas on how to attach the base and caulk the top edge? Also dealing with steel studs which is never fun.
9FE57EC0-C1DF-4E09-8E05-608B14419BD0.jpeg

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Those builtins should have just gone to the wall.

I'm interested to see if anyone has any ideas.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those builtins should have just gone to the wall.

I'm interested to see if anyone has any ideas.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Agreed. It’s one of these modern houses designed by an architect... form over function.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
20,463 Posts
I would figure out how far your arm/hand will reach...mark the baseboard accordingly...make some wedges that will fit between the cabinet and baseboard....do a dry run to determine if you are going to have any gaps between the wall and baseboard...apply a liberal amount of good caulk to the inside upper edge of the baseboard...apply some construction adhesive to the baseboard...put everything in place and insert wedges...

Have a stick with a damp sponge attached to it to reach in and smooth out the caulk that oozed out.

·
Registered
Remodel
27,433 Posts
1 Protect the floor in that area
2 put spacers down to get the right gap (if any) on the base
3 put adhesive on the back
4 run a caulk bead along the top back of the mold
5 carefully slide in place with the top tilted away from the wall
6 jam Styrofoam or something similar between the base and built in from the top and get the rest nailed off.
7 wipe excess caulk. Think rag on stick.

Edit - I see Robie posted the same general approach....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would figure out how far your arm/hand will reach...mark the baseboard accordingly...make some wedges that will fit between the cabinet and baseboard....do a dry run to determine if you are going to have any gaps between the wall and baseboard...apply a liberal amount of good caulk to the inside upper edge of the baseboard...apply some construction adhesive to the baseboard...put everything in place and insert wedges...

Have a stick with a damp sponge attached to it to reach in and smooth out the caulk that oozed out.
That’s a good idea. I’ll just have to find a board that fits the wall well since won’t be able to flex the 1x3 much to make it conform.

·
Registered
Remodel
27,433 Posts
When it's squeezed in place, you want to avoid marking the baseboard or built in.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
20,463 Posts
Whoever owns that home is going to curse that narrow gap between the cabs and the wall.

Reactions: Dirtywhiteboy

·
Radical Basement Dweller
20,463 Posts
That’s a good idea. I’ll just have to find a board that fits the wall well since won’t be able to flex the 1x3 much to make it conform.
Hopefully the wall isn't out that much.
Your dry run will let you know what to expect.

·
Registered
Remodel
27,433 Posts
If it's square stock, route the back like regular base so you can get some flex, or mud the wall flat enough.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have some 1x3 poplar base I need to install but there are built-ins 4” away from the wall and 30” deep so I can’t reach the back wall or more than about 18” beyond the front of the cabinets. I can pre-paint the base but any ideas on how to attach the base and caulk the top edge? Also dealing with steel studs which is never fun. View attachment 508086 View attachment 508086
Op what is the finish on “built ins” going to be?

Mikr

·
Radical Basement Dweller
20,463 Posts
Eric, has that wall been painted yet? It may be reflections but it looks like some patches/repairs made that are showing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eric, has that wall been painted yet? It may be reflections but it looks like some patches/repairs made that are showing.
Has not been painted yet. Cabinets are already finished... it’s a light clear coat type finish.
What does the opposite side look like? My thoughts as well Robbie. Something looks different. Don’t think it’s shadow

Mike
There is a window wall (like a commercial store front) so the cabinets stop short of the window wall just like the sheet rock wall pictured.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
20,463 Posts
Has not been painted yet. Cabinets are already finished... it’s a light clear coat type finish.
I would consider getting that end cabinet out of the way and doing what you need to do as far as baseboard and paint is concerned. IMO, a little time and effort now is going to save a whole lot of frustration later.

Reactions: onmywayup and KAP
1 - 20 of 40 Posts