Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts
There are areas of PA that have no licensing requirements. The OP could very well be working legally.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
There are areas of PA that have no licensing requirements. The OP could very well be working legally.

Without knowing for sure (I'm assuming New York) where the OP is from, he could be in some third-world backwater country that's lucky to even have electricity, let alone a governing body that regulates licensing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Without knowing for sure (I'm assuming New York) where the OP is from, he could be in some third-world backwater country that's lucky to even have electricity, let alone a governing body that regulates licensing.
Is that suppose to be some kind of crack on Pa? There are plenty of fine electricians regardless of what state government does or doesn't do.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Is that suppose to be some kind of crack on Pa? There are plenty of fine electricians regardless of what state government does or doesn't do.
Don't get all offeneded. I had assumed the same thing as 480, that he was from NY.
He is from PA, which he stated in another thread.

NY and PA are in the same dumbass boat where any schlock can throw a ladder on a Subaru Outback or a minivan and call himself an electrician in MOST parts of the state.

Or my favorite, a Pontiac Fiero loaded to the gills.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understand but you can only do what the state will allow you to do. Does not mean that none of us are highly qualified and can do as good if not better work than in other states.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,661 Posts
Jeez, did someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

I was simply trying to say that the OP may live in Elbonia, where they live in mud and work for Dilbert.

As Johnny Carson once said to the residents of New Mexico: "Lighten up!"

I understand but you can only do what the state will allow you to do. .........
Then why are the so many posting on Craigslist for unlicensed contractors?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doing what the state does not allow them to do.
This state doesn't give a **** what you do. These days yes you are suppose to prove insurance to the state. That is the only requirement by the state. Now to work in cities like Pittsburgh, you must take and pass their test! Unless you do 5000 or less a year than you don't even have to show insurance!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
Now to work in cities like Pittsburgh, you must take and pass their test! Unless you do 5000 or less a year than you don't even have to show insurance!
Just to clarify for non-PA guys, the insurance thing is statewide for Home Improvement Contractors.

The city licensing thing is totally separate, and IMO totally nuts. I'd much rather get a single statewide license than have to test, pay fees etc in every different locality in my service area. Fortunately, in general only the larger cities require jumping through that particular hoop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to clarify for non-PA guys, the insurance thing is statewide for Home Improvement Contractors.

The city licensing thing is totally separate, and IMO totally nuts. I'd much rather get a single statewide license than have to test, pay fees etc in every different locality in my service area. Fortunately, in general only the larger cities require jumping through that particular hoop.
I agree that there should be a Statewide license, unfortunately don't see that happening anytime soon!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts