Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,677 Posts
I would really hate to try to list all the NEC articles that may apply to the OPs situation.

It would be like asking, "I'm planning on driving my car on a public road.... what laws will I have to obey?" and trying to list them.

Reactions: Magnettica

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
im not a drive by poster, im just trying to learn what i need to know.
for someone just starting in the electrical field the nec is an incredible amount of information. I dont want to sit there are read all 800 pages. How do you guys memorized the nec?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,677 Posts
for someone just starting in the electrical field the nec is an incredible amount of information. I dont want to sit there are read all 800 pages. How do you guys memorized the nec?
I don't think anyone has memorized the NEC. We just remember how it's laid out and how to look things up.

Certain sections that apply to everyday situations will be remembered, but not verbatim, just what it means.

The question you posed it far too broad to give you a shopping list of each and every Code that applies. However, the most relevant reference I will give you is 90.1(C).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't think anyone has memorized the NEC. We just remember how it's laid out and how to look things up.

Certain sections that apply to everyday situations will be remembered, but not verbatim, just what it means.

The question you posed it far too broad to give you a shopping list of each and every Code that applies. However, the most relevant reference I will give you is 90.1(C).
Thanks

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
For someone just starting out in the trade are you really comfortable going out on your own doing work without knowing what you are doing before hand? Seems pretty sketchy to me. I would be VERY worried to work this way.
Are you actually in Brooklyn? If so then the situation is far worse as NYC has it's own codes, laws and licensing requirements. You aren't working in NY without a license, are you????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
im in a trade school for electrical, the only thing im terrible at is plumbing so i have a sub do all my plumbing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You're only in trade school yet you are out working for pay???

While quite ambitious, this is NOT very smart. :whistling
my parents are in real estate and frequently buy properties, they put the property in my name and thus i can legally remodel my own house. Im learning the trade while not risking law suits by being unlicensed.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,677 Posts
my parents are in real estate and frequently buy properties, they put the property in my name and thus i can legally remodel my own house. Im learning the trade while not risking law suits by being unlicensed.
So in other words, you're using real estate law to skirt around licensing requirements. And you still sleep at night?

In Iowa, that would not work. You would be required to obtain a Homestead exemption in order to work on 'your own home', and you can only got one.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
In Iowa, that would not work.
I don't think that would work in Illinois either. There is some type of requirement that you actually live in the house for a period of time too.

You may be playing with fire here.

Do you pull permits?

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

By opening up the book and reading it, asking questions, applying electrical theory, re-reading the same section over and over again, reading it some more, and reading it again. One guy on another board has about 6 code books all from the same year so he has them available wherever he is. Home, crapper, office, work truck, etc.

Very rarely does an electrician have the entire code book memorized. A great many are familiar with the articles and how to find the answers they need to know, but like anything else not every electrician knows it all, especially codes.

Just keep hammering away at it and you'll move up on the pay scale in no time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Is this work being inspected? If it's not, I would worry about the liability involved if something was wired incorrectly, then the house is sold, then it burns down and worse kills the new owner.

Edit: missed the last part of your post RS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Is this work being inspected? If it's not, I would worry about the liability involved if something was wired incorrectly, then the house is sold, then it burns down and worse kills the new owner.

Edit: missed the last part of your post RS.
all work is inspected and passes before it is sold.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
all work is inspected and passes before it is sold.
Who inspects it and "passes" it?

You never really answered the question. Do you pull permits?

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but one way or another, if you make a mistake it will end up costing you in the long run.

Edit-PS, I dont have the codebook memorized either. LOL

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,677 Posts
Gawd forbid it's a Home Inspector that rubber stamps it. :censored:

21 - 40 of 51 Posts