Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I was installing a door slab in an existing jamb for a customer who is acting as his own GC - I am doing all of the finish carpentry on the project. While mortising the hinges, the painters on site seemed overly impressed that I installed just the slab, instead of a whole new jamb, etc.

Now, this is the second time in less than a month that I have installed a slab door and had people remark on how impressive that is. The first time was the guy at the lumber yard that I ordered the slab door from - he kept quoting me a pre-hung unit, and when I finally convinced him I was not crazy, and only wanted a slab...after a few moments of silence he goes "wow...you must be really good."

Am I out of touch as far as this technique is concerned? How many of you still install slab doors (provided the jamb/opening is worth saving)?

I have to admit I am puzzled at the recent comments regarding how difficult this task is...

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have the same hinge jig and router as you loneframer, but don't have that nice lockset jig yet, still use a cheapo. I actually love doing slabs, they usually go pretty quick, and it can be good $$$$

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
I just did my sisters house about 6 months ago. 12 interior slabs in 2 1/2 days. I usually don't do work for family, but she couldn't find anyone to do the doors without hanging prehungs. Although she probably didn't look all that hard.:rolleyes:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have the same hinge jig and router as you loneframer, but don't have that nice lockset jig yet, still use a cheapo. I actually love doing slabs, they usually go pretty quick, and it can be good $$$$
That is a Kwikset jig that my dad handed down to me recently, for that job actually. I learned how to install locksets with this jig about 28 years ago.:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That is a Kwikset jig that my dad handed down to me recently, for that job actually. I learned how to install locksets with this jig about 28 years ago.:thumbsup:
My mom was helping my dad hang slab doors when she was pregnant with me. I came out the chute knowing how to use that jig.:laughing:

·
Registered
233 Posts
"wow...you must be really good."

Am I out of touch as far as this technique is concerned? How many of you still install slab doors (provided the jamb/opening is worth saving)?

I have to admit I am puzzled at the recent comments regarding how difficult this task is...
You must have learned from an old timer, I suspect a lot of this new finish carpenter can't hang a door in an existing jamb for jack and GC's and other trades are getting accustomed to seeing inferior skill, for example so called finish carpenter that hang and only hang pre-hung doors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
how long does it take you guys to hang a slab?

do you use templates, or a story board to match hinge to jamb?

just asking because it always seems to take me about two hours by the time i shim the hinges this way and that. talking about old construction here, not new.

any techniques you willing to share?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
how long does it take you guys to hang a slab?

do you use templates, or a story board to match hinge to jamb?

just asking because it always seems to take me about two hours by the time i shim the hinges this way and that. talking about old construction here, not new.

any techniques you willing to share?
I measured the existing doors to get hinge locations as well as handlesets. This house had settled so badly that some of the doors had to be cut out of square at the top to match the jambs, which isn't really out of the ordinary, but 5/8" on one door in particular. I pre machined all the slabs in about 6 hours. (15 slabs) Took 2 men 10 hours to fit, hang and install with handlesets and bumpers. (cutting on ground level and installing on 2nd floor unit. Total 26 man hours for 15 slabs.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,332 Posts
I do it all the time. Usually have to line up the hinge mortise on the jamb and then match them on the slab.

Time-wise, probably about the same 2 hours it takes you. Depends on the condition of everything. If the door fits properly and no fitting is required then about an hour to hour 20.

·
General Contractor
8,192 Posts
I measured the existing doors to get hinge locations as well as handlesets. This house had settled so badly that some of the doors had to be cut out of square at the top to match the jambs, which isn't really out of the ordinary, but 5/8" on one door in particular. I pre machined all the slabs in about 6 hours. (15 slabs) Took 2 men 10 hours to fit, hang and install with handlesets and bumpers. (cutting on ground level and installing on 2nd floor unit. Total 26 man hours for 15 slabs.
Lone, I think Gus is trying to tell you something :whistling:laughing:

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
My mom was helping my dad hang slab doors when she was pregnant with me. I came out the chute knowing how to use that jig.:laughing:
Who taught you how to polish the knob?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.