Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site so, moderator please, if this topic belongs somewhere else, please move it.

I have installed many pocket doors on a load bearing wall. Built a false wall for support. However, I am on a job where I have gutted and will remodel the entire bottom floor of a two story house. The owner is 88 years old and broke her hip. When she gets out of rehab in three weeks she will be using a walker or wheel chair so it will be difficult for her to open the door from her bedroom to hallway. Her son, who contracted me, wants a pocket door from her bedroom to hallway. It is right in the center of the house so it's load bearing (a lot of weight). I'm thinking I will need two false walls to support that weight (opinions). The kicker is that if I need two false walls, I will have to tear out half of a closet that is right at the end of the hallway and adjoins the lady's bedroom door. This one is a first for me. Two walls? Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Sounds like you haven't done many of these. Why not just build part of the wall inside the closet and part of it outside?

·
Designer/Contractor
4,813 Posts
Posts, beam and spread footings; consult with a competent architect or engineer.

P.S. The key to a good pocket door is good hardware.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Waynel, Just have ONE side of the pocket "load bearing"......leave the existing studs and just make the pocket area bump out~4" extend the jamb, drive on to next hair puller.
Or just hang a Cow shed style exposed track...

Hurry and finish before O-care gives your customer a 'black' pill... Probate could take years...

Reactions: Big Shoe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does she live alone? Why does she a need a door? Why not take the door out and install a curtain, or other divider of some type?

She's 88-----why do so much work?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Does she live alone? Why does she a need a door? Why not take the door out and install a curtain, or other divider of some type?

Yeah, she's 88! Why put a new roof on the house, just put a tarp on it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waynel, Just have ONE side of the pocket "load bearing"......leave the existing studs and just make the pocket area bump out~4" extend the jamb, drive on to next hair puller.
Or just hang a Cow shed style exposed track...

Hurry and finish before O-care gives your customer a 'black' pill... Probate could take years...
Excellent idea. And yes, I have done several pocket doors. This one just gave me pause because it's right in the center of the two story home. I'll run that by the customer Monday. He might actually like that I don't have to build a false wall, either in the closet or the bedroom side of the existing wall. It will save him a few dollars. Like you said...I'll just build a jamb wide enough for the existing rough opening and the new wall that will house the pocket door. He told me he's more concerned about function and saving his mother's money than appearance. I just joined this forum three days ago. Paying dividends aleady. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

No, she doesn't. She has her youngest son...45 years old, living with her in an upstairs bedroom. Alright, please no comments...my customer might be reading this forum.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No, she doesn't. She has her youngest son...45 years old, living with her in an upstairs bedroom. Alright, please no comments...my customer might be reading this forum.
No offense, but if your client is reading this, she's figured out that you don't know what you're doing and are blinding asking total strangers how to keep her upstairs from becoming her downstairs.

...and she's probably gonna fire you anyway in that case.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, MR BIG BAD KEY BASHER. He was asking a good question on a site for professionals to consult one another and you wanna start being a sarcastic jerk off. Go blow your "I'm too good to ask questions and learn something" B.S. On Craigslist with the rest of the hacks. This isn't a know it all website!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, she's 88! Why put a new roof on the house, just put a tarp on it!
Well for starters, and , obviously, this is not a necessary expense.
Another obvious factoid is that there will not only be some disruption, but the changes are permanent.

Perhaps, this old house has some historical value.
Perhaps the hallway, adjacent traffic areas won't readily accept built out walls.
IDK, but at least I am asking questions.

Hell maybe in reality they do need a new roof
IDK but at least I am asking questions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Pros

Sorry for the delay in thanking all of you for your opinions. I have been busy working.

I am new to this site and it's very easy to see who are the real professionals. I didn't need to join this site because I don't know what I'm doing. I have plenty of friends, who are also competitors in this business. In fact, we have over 150 members in our local association. To the true professionals who have ventured an opinion to my question, you know what we do at the association meetings. We talk and learn from each other. The true professional, as in any profession, is always looking for a better way. Not just to get the job done, but to increase our profits (which is why I am in business).

I belong to other forums (Scubaboard members out there?). We have worked out a solution and I want to thank all of you true professionals who understand what and why I was asking this question and took the time to offer opinions. From time to time I will be posting questions. Not because I have time to chat but because there might be a better way to do something that can improve the work and increase my bottom line. An "old guy" once told me "a closed mind is like a closed closet...it stays in the dark." Again, many thanks.

Waynel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts