Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a regular inspection camera that has a 2.4" screen, but I can only get about 3 feet of reach with the flexible camera cable, which is very limiting.

I was wondering if anyone has ever come across a borescope that a person could hook up to their smart phone. I see that Amazon sells USB borescopes in lengths of 15, 30, and 45 feet (see here) that I could hook up a laptop, but I don't want to bring my laptop onto jobs with me. I would love something like this that could hook up to my Samsung Galaxy S4. I could then tape the borescope to, for example, my wire fish sticks when running cables up from a basement to an attic via the plumbing stack. I'd be able to look at the video on my phone and see exactly what I may be hitting or getting snagged on and address the problem appropriately.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,543 Posts
I would think you can easily use the mini-USB jack, if that's what kind of charging jack it has. Just get an adaptor. But I'd be extra careful about not tugging on the jack in any way. Maybe also have a protective box/sleeve for the phone that clamps the incoming wire - just in case. Know what I mean?

Edit:
take a trip over to Microcenter in Radnor. That's a great resource you have over there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think you can easily use the mini-USB jack, if that's what kind of charging jack it has. Just get an adaptor. But I'd be extra careful about not tugging on the jack in any way. Maybe also have a protective box/sleeve for the phone that clamps the incoming wire - just in case. Know what I mean?

Edit:
take a trip over to Microcenter in Radnor. That's a great resource you have over there.
True, that place rocks! Yea, perhaps I could use an adapter. I wonder if I'd need a special driver for it though to work on the phone. I guess there's only one way to find out!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Bump.
Anyone doing something like this for their smart phone? My old Milwaukee needs a 3/4 hole and the quality isn't great...

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I'm waiting too. I looked into it and there's some cheapos that aren't made well but somebody must have a bluetooth system in the works that ran off of batteries for any smart phone or tablet. I did buy one from Home Depot that looked promising but it wouldn't communicate with my Samsung phone.

Seems like a small hurdle to overcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts