Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering...Does anyone use a inside corner tool sometimes called a butterfly? Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
I can get it done with my 6 it's the knife I carry in my back pocket. The round sides are idea for that.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
I'll use inside corner tools of I'm in a hurry. It's really easy to mess up a corner until you get used to using them.

Any other question?

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems like most pro's dont use them. Maybe they are a diy tool. I was thinking of rounding the corners on a 4 or 6'' knife. Less chance of cutting the paper.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
I always use it to set tape, I like how it floats out the corner. I will follow up with a 4" to clean corners.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Crap!... I'm using diy tools!

3" to set the tape, 4" to finish.. 2 passes and done:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Maybe to set tape, but a 6" knife to finish. And a few employees can only use the corner tool to set tape. They don't necessarily do the finishing.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Sometimes to set tape and it's nearby.... sorta good question.... not sure which I really prefer... of course, I hold the World's Record as the slowest taper/finisher...;)

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Apologize to the poster for derailing your thread. You probably don't know me but derailing threads was my specialty back in the day here.

As stated, the corner trowel is great for setting tape. However it's a pain to hold on to and set down anywhere due to the shape.

There are generally two sizes also. The smaller size is great for getting in the 3 ways but the larger variety is better for feathering out the majority of the runs IMO.

When you start talking about finishing with one is a different story. By design the tool will take off too much in the corner the more you press in while adding more just outside the tape edge giving a finished inside corner that resembles the middle of a open book...... kinda. :blink:

Anyways, I always had a couple when I finished by hand for setting tape before corner rollers and angle boxes.

Just my .02.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts