Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never used Blum hinges before. I'm having some trouble deciphering their calculations. I'm using inset doors with the face frame and cabinet sides flush. I'd like to know how far off the edge if the door I should drill the cup. I'm going to tackle the class again when I get home but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Used 1000's of Blum hinges when I had my cabinet shop.They were my standard but it's been a while.The cups are 35mm but 1 3/8 forstner will work fine.They give you the layout from edge of stile to center of cup.Don't remember what it is off hand but it's in the specs.Does not leave a lot of meat on the edge of the door but never had a problem.Just look at the specs and go edge of stile to center of cup.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Posted before seeing your last one.It is all metric.Just set up the press from outside of stile(door edge ) to center of cup.

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm all set. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right brochure or something. I'm basically using a clip top inserta with 0 hinge plate. 3/32" reveal should put me at a 4-5 mm boring distance.

Sine my reveal is actually 2.38 mm, should I go with the specs for 2 mm reveal or 3 mm reveal. Probably either one would work huh?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Blum Hinge Guides

These are excel spread sheets that calculate and give you the hinge and base plates needed. Then at the bottom there is a "click here to view your specific application". That gives all the dimensions ect. This compared to the charts and such is stupid easy to use.

You can likely use the first one on the page.

Reactions: rrk

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blum Hinge Guides

These are excel spread sheets that calculate and give you the hinge and base plates needed. Then at the bottom there is a "click here to view your specific application". That gives all the dimensions ect. This compared to the charts and such is stupid easy to use.

Apple computer. :whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
You can do most things with a 5 mill tab. Small changes to the tab will result in a different reveal. I can't stress enough the importance of a quick mock up before you bore the doors.

Check out this thread I put together several years ago. It handles several situations and speaks to the logic of the hinging system.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f13/flush-inset-door-hinging-options-56961/

Reactions: B.D.R.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Blum Hinge Guides

I believe you mean etc unless your talking about electroshock therapy.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I believe you mean etc unless your talking about electroshock therapy.
Historically etc means etcetera....

Though apple would probably like to have their systems administer shock therapy when using Microsoft applications on them :laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts