Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am building a small 'dormer' on a cedar shingle roof over an entryway. I want to cut the shingles on a line up the new valleys and then slip the metal valley under the shingles. How the heck can I get this done with the nails in the way?...it is befuddling me. I really don't want to remove all of that roofing just to get a valley under it (not budgeted). Is there a trick to doing this?

Thanks for any assistance.

Marc

·
Registered
547 Posts
"Is there a trick to doing this?"

Not unless you want to do it again next year and replace the ceiling while your at it.

You will want to install some underlayment (ice/water,etc) as well as the metal in the valley. I don't think you will spend less time trying to shove anything up under the shingles in a valley than you would by properly exposing the valley.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any tips for removing shingles and reinstalling without having to go all the way to the top of the peak to remove? ie how can I secure a shingle underneath one that's already installed?

·
Registered
547 Posts
http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Repairing_Wooden_Shingles-Subject_Siding_Wood_Siding-S3004.html

This is the type of tool you want to get. I did not watch Bobs video yet so I won't comment on it.

You will find it easier to give yourself enough room out of the valley line to work the tool than trying to stay as close as possible.

When repairing wood shingles I use a cats paw hook end to bite into and pull down the shingle. Then go in with the shingle bar to grab the nails.

When replacing the shingles beneath an existing course, line up the new one a bit below the final exposure, angle the nail in up tight to existing shingle, nail it off then use a block to bang shingle up to final location.

This will get your nail heads up under existing coarse. It is also why I peel back away from valley, so that close in is nailed nice and water tight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.