Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went thru a day waiting for an inspection, called the guy up for a rough and he said he would be at the site between 9:00 and 4:00.

Fun thing about it is the guy works a full time job elsewhere, so he shows up at 4:30. I had to sit around all day for him, when I tried to call to find out if he was on his way, of course the town hall was closed, after 4:00.

I was a little miffed, well you know how the story goes from there, he had to find something.

Now i have to wait another day for this clown to show up again.

Bernie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Inspections !

I am a Building inspector, I require 48 hrs notice for all inspections.
Let me tell you my side of the story. I am the only inspector in a town of 3700 people 270 building permits a year.
I have a 5% rule, 5% of the contractors take up 95 % of my time, People stop me on Sat. Sun wanting to schdule an insp. on Monday they call my home, boy does my wife gets mad.

I understand your problem, that bld. insp. SHOULD set up a better schedule than "some time today" try talking to him you must have more inspections to be conducted.
good luck

al

ps outstanding room

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I know your pain. I was once the service manager for Dixie Boat Works in Newton, NC pop. 3,500. I had the same problem, folks thought nothing about calling at any hour. AT HOME! It was like a 24-7 job.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've never met a bldg inspector that works for a municipality that will give you more than a window of 2 hours... except for major construction projects. I guess bldg inspectors have more respect for the huge contractor instead of us small guys.

G

·
Inspections

Glass I understand , What I have found when a contractors become bld. insp. they seem to want to make all other contractors do things THEIR way !... also they say you can't do THAT in MY town, I want you to construct the way the state code says it should be done, If you have any question or If you ask me I'll show you the code where you are required to do it, some times i'm wrong I'm willing to learn if I you still insist on doing it your way I then inform you to apply for a variance from the Dept. of State.

Grumpy I get a lot of tension, example: Glass calls for a footing inspection I call him back and tell him i"ll be there at 10:00 am on Monday 4-26-04 On Monday At 8:30 a couple comes in my office screaming and yelling, It seems they are selling their house and the buyers inspector found no permit was applied for, renovating their basement and converting their attic to a bed room and I better do something right a way because they have a closeing a 1:00 pm. I give them an application and tell them to draw a plan on what was done I'll be back at 11:00. I am told that I can't go because I'm holding up their closing. If I stay and help them which will take 4-5 hrs., then GLASS is going to be real mad. I get 2-3 people a month like this Grumpy What would do ?

al

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I don't know what Grumpy would do but I show up for appointments on time. I'ts not my fault that they skirted permits.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Mr. & Mr.s New Homeowner I would love to help you but I can't on such short notice. If you fill out this application, I can stop out tomorrow or perhaps later this afternoon.

If they become agitated then I would ask them why they waited to the last minute to request an inspection.

I would then leave and go to my glass appointment. First come first serve is how I operate as a contractor and why not as an inspector?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I definatly agree with you on that last post Grumpy. But unfortunal.ey bit dosn't always happen that way. I've been told that I was to expect and inspector "around" 9:00. By 2:30, when I'm heading home. I still haven't seen an inspector. Come back the next day to find that he ain't coming for a couple of more days. He got busy and can't break away to take care of me.

When I tell a customer that I am going to be there. I"m there. The same should hold true for inspectors. It's not like we have a shortage here in Phoenix. There are only about 50 of them. And on any given day around 30 jobs going on, (minimum). Way I see it, that 20 inspectors that can pick up the slack. But I still wait, holding up the process, now I have to shift gears and rearrange. What I was to have hung tomorrow, won't be hung until who knows?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I happened to meet the head of our building dept. at a Chamber get together. He liked fishing and I invited him out on my boat, we caught a cooler load of fish and, over time, became friends. People at the building dept. are used to seeing Bart and myself together and my permits and inspections go like clockwork.
Some other disgruntled contractors call me a suck up, I call it 'doin' business'. Bart's a great guy too, very funny and just a hoot to be with. Just don't try to go 1 on 1 with the Buds.

G

·
I had to deal with a good old boy builiding inspector at our lake house in Neb. He looked at his job as his little kingdom. Since my Bro-in law and him were good buddies, I was his good buddy by association, he basically just drove by my place and waved his hand to pass my inspections, meanwhile I would listen to his stories sitting around our fire pit in regard to how this person or that person at the lake was in for a rude awakening when he was dropping by tommorrow. He quoted many times "These people up here just been running around doing what ever the hell the wanted for so long, they don't realize that there is a new sherrif in town"

Long of the short story, he got fired this winter. Seems his boss did know more than he thought about what was going on. They never had so many complaints about an inspector before him, the complaints weren't the real problem what did him in was its a small place and everybody talks to everybody else and it didn't take long for it to get know that he was highly inconsitant in his inspections in regard to his buddies and people he didn't like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts