Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently heard that by showing a portfolio of photos of past jobs is possibly a bad idea to a potential customer. I had this happen where the woman thought I was arrogant :mad: & not my idea of what I expected to display. The photos are of jobs that were mostly much more expensive than what she was willing to spend. Anyhow I lost the job to someone for 1/2 my price. Two bathrooms complete guts for 12k what BS.

Now the question is show the photos or don't show them? These people have no idea what I have done in the past and how nice my work is or is not. I believe the photos help explain ideas and items they can look at. I try not to show jobs that are not relevant to their job. Someone said email some pics later. I have no showroom and don't like taking clients to places I shop until they are serious.

Thoughts.................................

·
Registered
497 Posts
You've been doing this for a while. As you look back on your many initial meetings with prospective customers over the years you begin to recognize that every customer has a preconceived idea of what it is going to be like to do business with you.

Your job is to listen to what they want to accomplish so you know how to mold yourself, your design, and your presentation to fit their picture. Focus on what's going on in their mind, not yours.

When you whip out your portfolio you limit the amount of communication you can receive from the prospect. They may perceive (as this woman did) that you only have certain types of kitchens and become intimidated by your portfolio. If you can afford to be perceived as arrogant, and only want high end kitchens, then proceed as before.

You'll discover a lot more opportunity when you let the customer tell you their ideas, visions, and dreams before you show them the portfolio. Contrary to what many salespeople think, selling is about the customer's ego, not ours.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I haven't seen your portfolio but a healthy mix of high quality, high price jobs and average jobs would show you do a great variety of work. As long as the pictures show that a change in price is accomplished by a change in materials, not a change in craftsmanship.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,318 Posts
I always take my portfolio with, but don't always open it up to show customers. They'll see it's there & will usually ask to see. If they don't ask I won't show it to them, makes the estimate that much shorter. Some people could care less about your pics so don't waste your time.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,771 Posts
My picturebooks are always in my truck. The client & the job being bid dictate whether they make it ouf ot the truck or not. If they'll add to the conversation or aid in selling the job, they come out. Like deckman, often times, they make it inside & are never opened.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have a video we show on a laptop. She was never in your price range to begin with. Never, ever, lower your standards to satisfy a customer.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've sometimes used ny picture book to answer specific points- we will discuss how to deal with a particular area of the kitchen, or some particular need of the customer, and then I say, "how about if we do something like this?" and then show them that specific photo. That seems to go down well. Quite often they say "can we look at the other pictures?" and of course I agree.

I usually explain to them that the pictures are not supposed to be the equivalent of a magazine spread, but rather to illustrate particular solutions to various requirements, and to illustrate stuff I do which they can't get elsewhere.

·
I'm on a boat!
3,178 Posts
I've sometimes used ny picture book to answer specific points- we will discuss how to deal with a particular area of the kitchen, or some particular need of the customer, and then I say, "how about if we do something like this?" and then show them that specific photo. That seems to go down well. Quite often they say "can we look at the other pictures?" and of course I agree.
Same here. I've got 2 portfolios - one for interior work and one for exterior work. I usually bring them with me and only use them for design ideas or if the HO specifically asks to see them. Most cases the HO has already seen pictures of our work online.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great help guys. I think it will stay in my truck. Maybe ask if they would like to see them after I feel them out first by asking what they want. If I get a good vibe I can always get the portfolio later. This customer was way below most anyone's standards, cheap, cheap & cheaper. Later she claims to have altered her budget when she felt $12k made her look beneath the average & hired someone else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts