Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentlemen,

I am planning on starting a beginner level mobile blasting business to supplement my existing career. I make a good yearly salary but am looking at this as a way to get out and make some extra cash.

What I plan on doing is purchasing the blasting pot and a water tank. Until I see how the business is going to go I will just rent a compressor as the jobs come along. If it becomes profitable I will purchase a 185 CFM in the future.

My question is, I was looking at a Marco 3.5 Cubic Foot pot. Anybody have experience with them. I was really looking into the MMLJ Dustless Blasters but after locating this site I have decided against them. For the money I have learned I can get comparable, if not better, results with a pot and a WIN nozzle. Is this correct? And I know I will need to get a Thompson Valve from what I am hearing?

I know a lot of you guys will tell me to stay away from the trade, but I can use it for my other pasttime which is auto restoration. This is one reason why I started looking into the mobile blasting. I know I won't get rich but an extra $1000 give or take per weekend wouldn't hurt!!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hope you get the answers you are looking for but I have to say I find these type of posts highly amusing, blasting is seen as a nice way to make a bit of extra cash because everyone is doing very well thank you but would like some easy money.

Believe me blasting is not easy money or is it even easy to do. Anyone that makes money from blasting, and there are some that make lots of money from it earns every penny, dime, cent or whatever you call it.

If you are able to twist your body like a gymnast and get into places that water can't whilst dragging heavy hoses, umbilical cords and wearing a spaceman's helmet at the same time as lifting items that are way beyond that of an Olympic power lifter you have the potential to hold on to the nozzle end of the blast hose but holding on is the least of your worries because you actually need to know what you are doing or you are going to find getting insurance in your second year is going to eat up all of the money you have made in the first year and more besides. Furthermore you will collect equipment like normal people collect antiques or stamps or china, all of which eats up what profits you may be lucky enough to make because there is always a gadget or gizmo to make your life as a blaster simpler most of which get used once and stored for that next job and none of which are free or even cheap.

My advice to you is if your salary is truly excellent pay some other unfortunate individual, a blaster with experience, knowledge and all the collectables he needs to do the job for you. Car restorations sounds a nice interest, stick with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Didn't expect that. Thanks for the help guy. Haha. Wasn't looking to turn it into a career as I indicated.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I think if you asked this question every year you'd get a different answer every time.

Blasting and the equipment is the least of the expense. Getting the business is were its the beast

One year you could be turning away work cause you can't keep up

The next year you can't get enough work to pay your helper....

Up and down

Last year I grossed over 175,000.
This year we barely hit 60,000.

Last three years we hardly worked nov, dec, and jan.

This year no work all year and know we are booked all through the snow season.. What a ***** but it's money

No book to say this is when we work, how to do it and this is how to double your money every year.

My goal was to get my business off and running and then get my boy to work and I'd do estimates ya right, I'm still doing work with him and trying to keep my stuff running

No a topical business, no business plan covers it

·
Registered
46 Posts
Blasting isnt easy or a great full time job, unless you find a nitch. I have another company my guys work for day in and out. I can bring them in when i need, but not often. I work phones for both companies and blast most of the time. Im lucky to have a company i have had for 12 years to provide another income. I like blasting most of the time but i do a lot of different jobs. Not practical for someone new unless you want to loose you butt from bad bids and loosing all your free time. You make an extra 1k a week on weekends beginning, dont hold your breath. Just being honest. Renting a compressor will only work if you have a full car or more, then you loose 150 + of your profit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looking for reviews on Marco pots, basically all I was asking. Dyer I appreciate the professional response. I've blasted some before working on my restoration projects with cars and actually enjoyed it with cars. Was just looking for guidance with the machine. I enjoy the restoration, not looking to make 160k, no time with other job

·
2,018 Posts
Josh, I bought my Marco 3.5 pot 12v psi hold. about 5-6 years ago
Blast almost every day and besides a few replacement parts that wear out, I've had good luck with it.
I know Todd on hear has not had good luck with his, but I think over all it's not bad, long as you know that anything won't last forever and some times ya might get a lemon .

Def want to go with at least the 1" I'd set up

·
2,018 Posts
As a side business it's great, did it for years Fell into doing it full time when my blasting job at the ship yard ended after 10 years. Figured it was time to make a go at it full time, it doubled every year for 4 or 5 years then tapered off, can only do so much work with me and a helper. Last year we was going to add a 2nd rig and my son was going to go out with a new guy, I myself was going to get a new helper. Looked good on paper, but I'm glad now that I didn't, with the pres changing the economy people froze on spending it's just know taking back off. If your looking into blasting on the side , just remember painting goes along with it. Adding priming to blasted stuff goes hand in hand . It's added a life saving nitch to us

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dyer, do you do air or airless priming/painting?

·
2,018 Posts
Both, it's one of those "what's the job" before Picking I mostly run a 2qt cup that has hose to the paint gun. (Conventional ) I find I can do most anything with this set up And do jobs from dump trucks to small trailers. Even done some 48' low bed trailers with good time. Airless would be on very large or big flat jobs Dumpsters, trailer trucks on the out side Most paints I use are thick or heavy. And find that a car sprayer type doesn't work very well unless it's a thin paint like a etching primer I don't advertise painting cause it's just another obstacle to get over, I do it if asked by the customer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just started priming also. Wouldnt do it forever but had a few customers ask for it. Then had a customer in a bind, he bought all my painting stuff plus a bunch of primer.;) Now not many asking for it LOL. Still wont prime cars though.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Marco is an imitation of the real deal...it has a great marketing program but actual design and patent rights are not there...I would buy a schmidt machine with a Thompson 2 if I were you...

Josh, what you read was a budget blast coming home from a typical hard day of oil rig type work and after a shower he probably read your post saying you would like to supplement your income by blasting a little. He thinks to himself...yea right go ahead and buy a piece of equipment and climb aboard. It's not as easy as it looks. But, it can be reawarding. A truck, trailer and a machine/compressor is not all it takes to make things work but the industry selling equipment sure makes you feel like that is all...

No one can come on here and explain the kind of day one of us has doing what we do...it is something you have to weather and navigate on your own...but definitely do not think that it is a "good little side business"...if you want one of those get yourself a bunch of redbull vending machines on a college campus or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blastserv I'm not above a rigorous days work. I've worked my ass off to get where I'm at in life. I don't plan on working in a rig or in a refinery. That is for you pros. Like I mentioned I enjoy working on car restoration and know blasting is limited around here in that field. I don't mind sweat, hard work and long days. I didn't come in here acting like I knew the entire history or all knowledge of the field was just asking for suggestions and recommendations. I appreciate your feedback on the Marco. Just pissed me off when I come in here for guidance and a so called professional tries to belittle another through his comments on a forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, I never said it would be a good little side job but I know I would enjoy it as a side job. Like I said, I enjoy hard work and I'm not above it.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Go for it then...

I do not work in a refinery or a shipyard...what I was saying is the typical day is oil rig hard...I love a hard days work...I love making my body work like a machine and the days end results are the reward. If you feel like you have it in you then like I said...go after it..but, most don't and even at the end still won't admit it that the work whipped there ass and will blame the industry.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just pissed me off when I come in here for guidance and a so called professional tries to belittle another through his comments on a forum.
This was not an attempt to belittle you at all. but the comment 'Budget Blast is a tool' posted by you on another thread was certainly an attempt to belittle me so lets start again.

I was merely trying to point out that there are many people that post on this forum, and you may not be one of them, that think if I get a blast pot, rent in a compressor, chuck a bit of grit in, I can make myself an extra $1000 a weekend.

If only life were that simple. There is a reason why there are so many cheap second hand machines out there because you like many others are not the first to have that thought and most quickly become ex-blasters when they realise that we are not in the rose petal throwing business or do we go home still smelling of the deodorant we left home with after completing yet another easy to find extra $1000 job.

Its tough out there if you are up to it go for it and the best of luck to you I hope it works out for you.

Returning to your question if you want to blast the rules are simple as they are with all trades. buy the best equipment you can find and afford there is nothing worse than trying to get a professional finish from sub standard cheap worn out badly maintained equipment and that alone probably contributes to more failed start ups than anything else even if you are prepared to work hard crap equipment quickly demotivates even the most enthusiastic.

There is lots of choice and everyone has their favourites most soon have more than one pot because there are pros and cons with each and no total package. Think about the type of work you want to undertake and match your pot to that. I have a small multi media pot with a Thompson valve for smaller work and high volume contractor pots for commercial work.

If you motive is $'s and lots of them you need to go heavy and chase big contracts which is a whole different world. Be warned though where there is potential to earn big bucks there is equally the potential to lose big time as well.

Good luck

·
2,018 Posts
Josh, these guys on hear are not trying to cut you up, I think that over the years so many have started up and spent big bucks on chasing the money.

They are just telling it like it is, if I came on hear after a long hard day I'd be telling or asking why someone would want to jump in

But we all forgot when we all started out the excitement and twinkle in our eyes of start our own business.

The only thing is asking about pots and equipment is like asking

" what kind of truck should I buy to work with,
Chevy, Ford, Dodge??"

The response will be wide spread, but you get some good info and a lot of bickering or what's the best

Good luck, if you jump in and give it a go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DAK EcoBlasting

Hello Gentlemen,

I am planning on starting a beginner level mobile blasting business to supplement my existing career. I make a good yearly salary but am looking at this as a way to get out and make some extra cash.

What I plan on doing is purchasing the blasting pot and a water tank. Until I see how the business is going to go I will just rent a compressor as the jobs come along. If it becomes profitable I will purchase a 185 CFM in the future.

My question is, I was looking at a Marco 3.5 Cubic Foot pot. Anybody have experience with them. I was really looking into the MMLJ Dustless Blasters but after locating this site I have decided against them. For the money I have learned I can get comparable, if not better, results with a pot and a WIN nozzle. Is this correct? And I know I will need to get a Thompson Valve from what I am hearing?

I know a lot of you guys will tell me to stay away from the trade, but I can use it for my other pasttime which is auto restoration. This is one reason why I started looking into the mobile blasting. I know I won't get rich but an extra $1000 give or take per weekend wouldn't hurt!!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, Thanks guys!
Josh
I started my business 7 months ago, I purchased the MMLJ DB500. I have another contracting business which I have grown for the past 28 years. I went into this thinking it would be a good sideline to our existing business. Here is what I can tell you about me first seven months:

Once we got a web presence we were getting 2-3 calls a day inquiring on our services. Jobs range from blasting patio furniture to indoor fire places.

We (my son helped me all summer) took on some really stupid jobs, of course we didn't know it at the time. We lost a lot of money but can chalk it up to our learning process.

We are in the Chicago market so potential work is plentiful but the best work seems to be the work we solicit not the work that comes in on the phone.

There is a lot of information on this site about equipment I can not comment on it because my only experience is what I know and what I use. So far I am happy with my MMLJ purchase but I will agree with many others the MMLJ videos make it look much easier then it actually is. And yes the cleanup is always takes longer then you think.

Go for it, know that it is hard but if you can afford the learning curve I think you will enjoy the business.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts