Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They suck.....:rolleyes:.(some of them)..

I have to install 20" Melato fired Italian ceramic floor tile in a chopped up small kitchen.....

It's going to look "out of place" IMO.....

But.....lay it I will......:whistling

Just burns me up some of the absolutly ridiculous ideas some of these inferior desecrators come up with,,,,,:rolleyes:

Just venting.....I can't stand some of them,,,,,,they reside on a different planet as far as I am concerned.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
PrestigeR&D said:
They suck.....:rolleyes:.(some of them).. I have to install 20" Melato fired Italian ceramic floor tile in a chopped up small kitchen..... It's going to look "out of place" IMO..... But.....lay it I will......:whistling Just burns me up some of the absolutly ridiculous ideas some of these inferior desecrators come up with,,,,,:rolleyes: Just venting.....I can't stand some of them,,,,,,they reside on a different planet as far as I am concerned.....:rolleyes:
My first boss used to say, regarding interior (and especially kitchen) designers, "Get your hands dirty or shut up and get the fvck out." I haven't worked with a designer who has made me disagree yet, but I don't have that many years in this either.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Did she have the SOP outfit with hooker boots and so much perfume you can still taste it 3 days later at dinner? Talking about how wonderful she is and how talented she is and loathes anyone who has to work with their hands to make her atrocious design come to life and pop?

Oh lets not forgot the lingo "It will pop" diagonal will make the room look bigger! Code? what are codes? just do it this way...:laughing:

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I had a designer one time argue with me over using two incompatible materials that wouldn't heat weld together well at all (way different melting points and differing thicknesses) and when I told her we should use the same material as they had nearly the same color available she looked at me like I had three heads and down her nose at me says "that's why I'M the designer." Without losing a second I pointed out how apparently it didn't save her from being a dumb ass.

The design element that was incompatible was an 18" square in the lobby of a fvckin animal hospital. In a week it was going to be covered in piss and not a damn person in there would even notice it. The compatible material was literally a half a shade off...

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
My first boss used to say, "Get your hands dirty or shut up and get the fvck out."
I agree. If they want me to candy stripe a toilet with red and white peppermint stripes and they want me to put floating tea candles in the tank, I'll happily do it as long as they are paying me.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I met her today.....

Hot little thing.....

I questioned her "powered" grout mix.....and gap...

She tells me what she wants...as narrow as possible....we agree on 5/32"...;).

Now,...the grout.....

Powdered Sh!t with some additive ....we all know what that is....:rolleyes:

I vehemently disagree with her about it's performance....I absolutely hate that product.....

So...now...

Going to lay a sample out of some high end epoxy grout,..vs the powder sucking sand bag .......

Looking forward to this!:clap:

Where is that blueberry drink....:blink:

:laughing:

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I can work it in....

I'll get a snapper...

But business,,is business,,,,,,,I don't care about that.....

She is very pleasant on the eyes.....but that is the book cover,,,:whistling

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hop scotch....20" tile....

Floor is not "prestinly level....."

Small chopped up kitchen,,bath.....

I had to run a line 9-7/8" "centered-off set" into the bathroom - then run it back.......and when it came back into the feild.....yes, I am patting myself on the back.......

9-7/8"......perfect...

Lipage.....not what I would want...off ,...small room, no floor leveler.....

Pisses me off...".o:rolleyes: so bad......:rolleyes:

I take is personally....but...

I've been around along enough to understand tolerances.....

Lipage is the one thing with tile/room size,,,,,,divided by room size,..age of the structure,,,,,,size of tile.....preparation.....,

Problem is.....in my case...

Floor leveling is absolutly" crucial"......

I think about all this usual "past by" information that really is very important -IMO...

all depends on the alphabet of your client,,,,,,:rolleyes:. A,- 1,000,000,00- and so forth.....

Nutty people....some of them...live in a different world,,,.,:rolleyes:

I call them "disconnected" :laughing:

It's rather amazing, when you think about it,......

You can go from charging "laying tile " from $6450.00 for 128 sq ft to 648.00....from one person to the next......charity work.......which I am all for....love to help people.....:thumbsup:

What an interesting trade we all belong to.........

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
locally there are only a very very select few designers that arent a complete p.i.t.a . there are several weve kicked off the job before because they were completely killing the budget.. making change orders without telling the client and things of that nature becasue they personally didnt like something..

on one such house the designer picked out a very dark color for the main entrance of the house whic had 20 ft ceilings.. when the home owner saw it they flipped.. not only did they not like the color but because they now had to pay for the room being painted twice

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Slobs"""...

Come on gentleman...

Let's contain ourselves......

Sex,,,,,and ceramic tile.....l:clap:

Oh she is a little premo doña. ,ll,ll

:rolleyes: personally,..

My dick does not speak above me.......;)...:whistling

What little a have,,,,,,,,,

:laughing:.....:clap:

You get older,,,ahhh....all that matters ,,,,is people......

Honestly,....

I love people.....most of all.....

I love honest people ,',,...

If you only knew .....,,,,

Lots to say,,,,,,

No place to go.....

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Slobs"""...

Come on gentleman...

Let's contain ourselves......

Sex,,,,,and ceramic tile.....l:clap:

Oh she is a little premo doña. ,ll,ll

:rolleyes: personally,..

My dick does not speak above me.......;)...:whistling

What little a have,,,,,,,,,

:laughing:.....:clap:

You get older,,,ahhh....all that matters ,,,,is people......

Honestly,....

I love people.....most of all.....

I love honest people ,',,...

If you only knew .....,,,,

Lots to say,,,,,,

No place to go.....

how's your "." and "," holding up? Is the lettering worn off the keys by now?

:laughing: :laughing:

·
tiling baltimore
223 Posts
Lol I love this thread. There's one a couple that i can deal with and have a normal "meet" with. I honestly spend more time going over, discussing and changing the architect/designers stupid ideas than i should have to. they dont know how to lay 5hit out or what goes with what.

My current designer wants all this fancy tile for two bathrooms which is fine i can do it, BUT she doesnt want any bullnose or schluter strips. Just the edge of the tile...the builder is rolling his eyes just as much as I.

Some other idiot architect/designers picked out some nice 12" marble for a shower and had me cut it into 6x12s (thus doubling the amount of joints). After i put it all up they look at it and say hmmm I wanted the least amount of joints possible.

I once had to center the toilet for the layout of the whole bathroom

Another somehow got a hold of 7 different grout charts and spent a week deciding the color( Ho and builder and myself were not happy). The day after i grouted it she decided she didnt like it and wanted a different color! you should of heard that fight

I could go on for hours...

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
How about an architect who specifies a 4'x6' glass block window,...only he wants 2 panels with a one inch gap in between??
When I questioned how to site build 2 panels without filling the 1" gap with mortar, he replied "they used build houses with double brick all the time". After I subdued my laughter I reminded him that bricks are not see thru like glass block. He got the point and we built a single panel !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts