Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Saw a box full of home security cams in the isle at HD the other day that touted IR night imaging. They were cheap.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Google it and you can find some Russian military stuff. My son bought one and it is better than nothing, the point of focus is in the center and things get pretty fuzzy real quick. It was cheap though.
Why do you want IR as opposed to Light Enhancement?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops, .. I kinda had something else come up and forgot about this for awile. When I worked for "the man", a fire protection specalist came to our plant and took pictures of all of the electrical equipment with an IR camera. He would find things like fuse clips that were hot, failing xformers, loose connections etc. He would take pictures so we could fix the problem before big problems happened. (Pretty important aroud grain dust)

I was looking for something that could be used to identify electrial hotspots in homes and possibly for looking at heat loss so that insulation, weather-stripping etc. could be proposed.

Again, sorry for my senility moment. I promise never to forget a thread again........"What is that Honey?.....no...I thought our anniversary was next month"

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Did you scope out the links on this page?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
As an electrician, I'm aquainted with this IR equipment. I don't have a clue as to where you could buy such equipment that cheaply, but I do have a technical/engineering/mathematical question regarding IR camera systems. Can a person take an IR "snapshot" of a wall assembly (to gain the temperature of the wall assembly) and add in factors such as the room temperature and the outdoor temperature to extrapolate the installed R-value of the wall assembly? This would be helpful to me when the components of the wall assembly are unknown. One locality I work in requires R values of wall, ceiling, and floor assemblies when we pull an electrical permit that contains any changes to the heating or cooling system. I remember trying to find out the R value of vermiculite (sp?) filled 8" CMU's. Then I find out that there's 3 or 4 R values for the fill material, depening on the brand and several R values for the CMU depending on some other obscurity. I thought that if you could just set up some sort of quick and dirty measurement procedure, you might be able to measure or extrapolate the installed R value of building component assemblies.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I looked into this years ago as something an ageing guy could do and unfortunately lost all of the links in a hd crash. The equipment is pretty expensive (think 10K for a decent unit) and a poll of contractors revealed that they would not pay for it.

C

·
0 Posts
Jgrif.
What you need is thermal imaging, not IR, like the nightsight/boresight on a TOW missile launcher. Fire and law enforcement have them, BUKU $$$, IR won't distinguish between temperature variations, only usefull when used in conjunction with IR lighting for stealthy applications. With Thermal contrast imagery, you can see a mouse fart in the desert.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts