Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contracting for about five years, and most of my work has come from my yellow pages ads. I spend about $1500/month on advertising through them, (a few hundred in several different books), and I was feeling as if I had the advertising part of my company under control. I think I may be wrong.
I've read a few articles talking about advertising being 8% of your gross revenue. Mine is closer to 12% - 15%. Which means for the money I'm spending advertising, I should be making quite a bit more. What are you guys doing out there that really works that I'm not doing? I'm a Gas Piping guy, and other than the occasional water heater (working on doing more, however) gas piping is all I do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
I love Direct Mail. For the money you can't go wrong, it takes a lot of research though. It suits my company well, it may not do a thing for yours.

Who are you trying to market to? Developers? homeowners? remodelors?
Different techniques for each will have different results.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I say to browse the marketing section of this forum and before you know it you'll be a pro.

Yellow pages are crap IMO. They work for very few contractors. Most of the guys I talk to, even with decent sized adds, have little response. It's the guys who have first pages in every book that it's working for. Also as humble mentioned this is a marketing strategy for targeting end consumers. Who is your target market?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
There are 2 sides to the ROI formula you know. Where you advertise and how you advertise.

Doubling the effectiveness of your advetisement will double the return without increasing your advertising costs.

There are companies that specialize in Yellow page advertisement design. About 80% of the ads I see in the yellow pages are weak.

Think about increasing the effectiveness of your ads first. That could be the best money you ever spent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Advertising

If you do a lot of business through referals and Yellow PAges, you may want to try Google ADS or Yahoo/Overture; DO you have a website?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grumpy said:
I say to browse the marketing section of this forum and before you know it you'll be a pro.

Yellow pages are crap IMO. They work for very few contractors. Most of the guys I talk to, even with decent sized adds, have little response. It's the guys who have first pages in every book that it's working for. Also as humble mentioned this is a marketing strategy for targeting end consumers. Who is your target market?
When it comes to the Yellow Pages, I'm trying to target homeowners. Most of my work through contractors has come because of me calling different remodelers, plumbers, ect, and seeing if they need anything.
Because just being a gas guy is so specific, when I came out with a decent ad in the yellow pages, I had the market cornered for a couple years, but since then people have bumped up to compete with me. I'll search the marketing section, like you said, and hopefully I'll get some good places to advertise. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts