Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Go to the search feature type in generating business hit "show posts" and it will give you a good start on other's suggestions and do's/don'ts!

Hope that gets ya goin' while you wait for more specifics from others.:thumbup:

·
Shiloe
27 Posts
We've invested a lot in "branding" and have a very recognizable logo that's on all our jobsite signs and truck magnets. More recently, for projects with a lot of foot traffic, we've installed little acrylic real estate style flier holders that contain postcards with our contact info and a few great photos of architectural details.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Go way back to one of my earlist posts (archives). It's the best that I've come up with.

The downside is now even the rich are watching their money.

·
General Contractor
327 Posts
Try working with realtors in your area. Some realtors like REmax in my area have a package that is provided to all clients and allow business to advertise on the inside or outside folder.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Try working with realtors in your area. Some realtors like REmax in my area have a package that is provided to all clients and allow business to advertise on the inside or outside folder.
The problem is that gets expensive, I spent over $100 and didnt even get 1 call.

FOR A GOOD TIME CALL... (YOUR NUMBER) then when they call sell them on your service :thumbsup:
I seen you ads in all the DNR toilets at the public boat launches.

Good professional work, a fair price, a satisfied client, and word of mouth. I doesn't get any less expensive than that.
Probelem is like in michigan where there is little work from a destroyed economy you cant find a customer to spread the good word.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Probelem is like in michigan where there is little work from a destroyed economy you cant find a customer to spread the good word.

Well at least you have the FIB's with their summer cottages which is better than nothing;)

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Well at least you have the FIB's with their summer cottages which is better than nothing;)
The biggest problem is this area was going crazy with the building about 10 years ago. There was alot of GC making millions. I even know of hacks making millions. Because there was so much money in it everbody and their brother got into the business. Now there is so many guys in the business and very little work you got everyone going cutthroat. Then thow in the auto industry closing all the factories and people are out of work and look for odd jobs like remodeling your kitchen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem is that gets expensive, I spent over $100 and didnt even get 1 call.

I have been slow for 18 months. I took the time to put together a website. Unfortunately, it cost a little money, and I haven't gotten any work yet just from people looking online, but I made sure to let my friends, contractors, and recent clients know that their home or their project is on the website. They go to the website, see their home or their project and pass that info on to others. I'm hoping that something comes out of that.

As to the website, I used went to fatcow.com . It is an extremely ridiculously low price for one year. They register a domain name for you. You have templates to choose from for setting up the site yourself. You can upload photos of your projects. You can even set up another email site.

Also, there are many online sites to get your company name, address, phone, and website listed for free. Try local municipal sites, community sites. Also go to brownbook.com . For free, you list yourself there and then anyone can start to Google your name, company.

There are avenues online to get out there for free. There needs to be some luck involved to have someone looking that way to call.

Good Luck to all. I hope we can all get working again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a friend who had his brother in the local newspaper some years ago. They were selling adds of contractors and buy/sell. Every evening before the next issue he hared yhe data with me so I was able to get clients before others :)

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
web sites are pretty cheap. even though mines home made it does generate new business for me after i learned how to optimize it. When it got really slow for me in march I did link my site onto craigslist. I got roughly 1/4 of what i actually bid on. They were clients who already got burned on craigslist ironically. Yet there they went. looking for more. I sold myself as not the cheapest. and ive had repeat business from some of those free leads. I haven't placed an ad there in quite a while. But may do so in a couple weeks.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
word of mouth is THE BEST form of advertising there is. Nothing is better.
Stinky bull poopie.

Sorry, word of mouth ain't advertising. Word of mouth is not a viable business model.

If I had a dollar for every contractor that logged onto this website and made 1 post and then disappeared and in that post they said

"I've been in business for X amount of years, never had to look for work, got all my work by word of mouth, but lately I'm starving to death, been out of work for months, nobody wants to pay for anything and other contractors are working for nothing... help! What's the best way to advertise to get more work?"

I'd be rich.

Effective, advertising that targets your perfect customer is the most effective advertising you can do.

·
Registered
618 Posts
might be alittle late this year but I usually print plastic calendars biz card size with my biz cardon one side. I also print nice calendars and give them out freely. Cost is about $3k a year but I get a lot of biz in that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Leaflets and mailing

Anyone know of some inexpensive ways to generate Biz.. what has worked and what has not. Do Flyers and Mailout's work?

Thanks... hope everyone is doing good ...
Hi

I am not sure how successful leaflets would be in your part of the world, we recently had 10,000 full colour a5 leaflets done and had the distributed through local news papers, We added promo codes to each batch of 2000 to see what areas came back with the best response. out of all 10,000 we had 2, yes 2 people get back to us.

Like I say you might have more luck but ot never done anything for us.

the internet is the bset way of building business but you have to put alot of time into it and try to get your website on the first page of google.

Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 38 Posts