Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Carrier furnace model 58PAV I believe and notice when the thermostat calls for heat the inducer fan will come on then shut off at intermttent times. This might happen two or three times until it stays on and the furnace will function properly. Or it will flash an error 31. I checked basic connections to the motor and on the CPU and the inducer fan connections seem fine. Any ideas why the fan would run like this.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
Code 31 is a pressure switch code which can be caused by debris in either the vent or the combustion air pipe. Improper pitching of the vent pipe causing pipe to trap water or improper strapping allowing the piping to sag over time. The condensate trap on the furnace or drain line could be blocked not allowing the water to drain from the furnace. This backs water up to where the pressure switch port is on the collector box behind the inducer. The drain hose from the collector box to the drain trap may becoming soft. When this happens when the inducer comes on it can collapse the drain hose and allow the water to back up and cause the pressure switch to open. The inducer motor may not be getting to speed. Or the integrated control board maybe cutting power in and out to the furnace.

Call your service company.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts