Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build my own super insulated home next year and leaning toward SIPS. I'm an electrician by trade so my question is how do I know which is better for my area? I hear guys discuss this back and forth and not sure which is the better solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a few here that advertise it and doing the loop I can do myself with equipment we already have. So with the loop out of the way and one of my customers is a water furnace rep I can get equipment at a good price. I'm merely looking at it from an energy standpoint as to which one.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If you are talking strictly energy geo is the way to go. It sounds as this is the way you plan to go. I would take into consideration that should you have equipment failures, it would be better that it would be with an air to air furnace and h.p..

You are an electrician with good trouble shooting skills? Probably can deal with whatever happens. I am talking on a general basis, and it's my opinion only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a company our primary focus is on building management system installations so the basic concept of Geo is not foreign to me. We have done quite a few schools in GEO. I just hear HVAC guys chatter about it not working as well in our area. One thing that might be an issue for me is growing up with gas heat and it being warmer than GEO discharge temp.

Do you feel there is a huge difference in energy usage between the 2? I will have natural gas anyways onsite as I will use it for our polebarn 60x100 along with a backup generator set. We are a GE Generator Rep as well.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I just googled energy usage comparison geo thermal versus natural gas. There was something the was alarming. I see that you are looking before leaping. I can't provide specific details. Maybe somebody from the A team will chime in soon, but your concerns are warranted.

Good luck

·
Access Heating & Air
82 Posts
hfd419 said:
I'm looking to build my own super insulated home next year and leaning toward SIPS. I'm an electrician by trade so my question is how do I know which is better for my area? I hear guys discuss this back and forth and not sure which is the better solution.
A great resource to utilize is your local utility company, power and gas. They both will try to sell you on energy efficient uses of what they sell, so get opinions from both.

What are your rates per therm and kW?
And, do you have access to any "intelligent" hvac companies out in Indiana?

·
Banned
3 Posts
heat pump stalls and restarts

I have a 2 ton Goodman pump approx. 1 year old. Usually runs normal but sometimes seems to stall hard and then restarts in less than a minute then runs for a minute or two, stalls again and restarts again. It will cycle like this 2 or three times then go back to running normal.
Any ideas?

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I have an open loop geo (4 ton) and am really happy with it. They key is what you said, INSULATION. I don't know if the cost savings is worth it to use SIPS. You can get a house very well insulated using conventional methods.

I have a wood furnace that is tied into my ductwork that I run in the winter. I have yet to have an electric bill over $140 (3800 sq ft heated space). Summer or winter. That's all I have, wood and geo. Sometimes I think that burning wood isn't worth is because I could just use the geo and it would only cost me another $60-100/month, if that.

I have a friend who just installed a geo in an old farmhouse. He is paying $350/month in electric and there have been times the geo couldn't keep up. Insulation and air sealing is key.

You really do have to take a step back and evaluate whether the added upfront cost outweighs the cost savings in the future. Nice thing about a geo is you still get the 30% credit. If it wouldn't have been for that I would have went with a gas furnace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts