Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The phase-out of 40w and 60w incandescent bulbs begins on Jan 1. Since I use a lot of those cheap 60's when installing lighting for home sales, etc., I'm wondering how long they'll continue to be on the shelves at HD. Any guesses based on past experience? The phase out on 100w already happened, but they're still around...so far.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
DaVinciRemodel said:
I remember reading that HD believes they have stock that will last till June.
The depot in my town has been out of them for the past year . Mermards still stocks them but I don't know for how long.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have so many laying around at this point due to replacing them with CFL or LED.

They were selling Philips 60W Eq LED A19's at the mall here at xmas, 3 for $10. I picked up a bunch and now I'm 100% LED. They look great as well, no different than standard bulbs in terms of color.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'll still use incandescent for the home sales.

But if my math is correct, we should replace all the most used ones at home right away.

A couple scenarios at our 12 cents/kWh in Arlington, VA: (If your rate is higher, you get a quicker return...)

For ONE (1) 60 watt bulb left on 24/7 (all the time):
24hrs x 30 days x 60watts = 43200 watt-hours = 43.2 kWh used/month
43.2 kwH x .12 (my cost of power) = $5.18/month....or around $63/year to power that bulb.

For a 13 watt equivalent, also left on 24/7:
(less than 22% of the power needed)
.22 x 43.2 = 9.504 kWh per month
9.504 x .12 = $1.14 cost / month or $13.68 /year to power that bulb

$63 vs. ~ $14 per year to power it.....makes sense to buy that $12 bulb.

--------

How about same scenario, but for ONE (1) 60 watt bulb that is used only 4 hours/day:

4 hrs x 30 days x 60 watts = 7200 watt-hours = 7.2 kWh in a month
7.2 kWh x .12 (my cost of power) = $0.86 / month..or $10.36/ year to power it.

...so it STILL makes sense to replace with a $12, 13 watt bulb. You get paid back in about one year, and it's gravy after that. (But don't break the bulbs!)

----
Guess I'm replacing our bulbs this week! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
What happens when you need to make a hot box on the job out of some rigid foam and a 100 rough service to heat your lunch or heat up some material?

·
Contractor
7,655 Posts
The problem I have with the Compact Florescent is they don't last as long as advertised. I get tired of changing them, and swapped some fixtures back to incandescent. The led's aren't much better, just more expensive.

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem I have with the Compact Florescent is they don't last as long as advertised. I get tired of changing them, and swapped some fixtures back to incandescent. The led's aren't much better, just more expensive.
Yup, I just read something about that. CFL's have shortened life the more they are turned off/on, so they're better for more "longer-term use. LED's are supposedly better for the quick on/off.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,305 Posts
Aren't CFL's supposed to be disposed of in a special manner, and if they break on carpet the carpet is supposed to be cut out?

·
Sean
5,532 Posts
Rio - no you don't need to cut the carpet out but yes they should supposedly be brought in to a place that accepts them due to the mercury in them - most people just throw them in the trash especially as you are liable to ingest more mercury from eating fish than is used in the bulb

One thing on shorter life - make sure you are not using a "lamp" version in a ceiling fan or where the bulb is upside down (outside light) - look for a little vent on the bulb - if it is right where the curly q is at it should be upright unless listed differntly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts