Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Sears Craftsman compressor which has not been used for three months. Is there anything I need to check or change before I start it up for the first time?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I deal with 5000 psi compressors which are a bit different. but here is what I would recommend. First turn it over by hand a couple times and listen/feal for a clunk. If you have one you probably have a bad bearing in one of the rods. This will also get some oil on the bearings. other than that I would change the oil before starting it and after 10 hours.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I bought a used Sears Craftsman compressor which has not been used for three months. Is there anything I need to check or change before I start it up for the first time?
What does your contract say?, Er, I mean, what does the manual say?!:laughing:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
3 months is nothing. I have a compressor that is 15 years old and rarely gets used, but starts up just fine every time. It has sat for over a year with no issues. I'm assuming this is an oil less compressor, as that's most of what Craftsman sells. No oil to get contaminated. Even am oiled compressor I wouldn't worry about if it's only 3 months.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
If it was me, I'd go through and give it a full checkup and tuneup. I do that for any used machine, not just air compressors, as a way to get to know the machine and prevent any issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts